Certfied Passivhaus Designer Training Courses
Guiding you through becoming a certified Passivhaus designer and giving you the confidence to tackle UK Passivhaus projects
- Guiding you – friendly trainers and small groups encourage a great learning experience
- Prepare you for the exam – Dedicated revision day, Our own practice exam paper, 30 pages of worked examples to take away
- Interesting and exciting – we visit real Passivhaus projects
- Sociable – We encourage delegates to support each other and organise meals out for networking
- If you don’t pass first time – we offer a free one to one advice session with your exam paper
- UK focused – 100% rewritten – rather than the European CEPH material taught by others
- UK examples – from the UK domestic and non-domestic sector
- Up to date – we continually update our material and teach V8 PHPP
- Modular – sit our course in one go – or as separate modules to suit your availability and finances
- Exercises – lots of exercises used to continually affirm and test understanding
- UK experts – our trainers are the experts who are actually successfully designing/ building Passivhaus in UK
- Highly experienced trainers – amongst others, Bill Butcher, Eric Parks, Mark Siddall, Alan Clarke and Nick Grant. Not to mention Peter Warm and the rest of the WARM staff who have supported over 200 buildings in low energy design, and are Passivhaus certifiers.
- Variety of experience – our collective experience includes non domestic building, large residential schemes and real Passivhaus construction experience
- London – Bristol – Plymouth – plus other locations based on demand
- Central and close to public transport
- Bespoke Courses – we regularly run bespoke course for companies who need specialist training
To Book contact Ingrid Bravo on 01752 542546 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
|Bristol 2014||London B 2014|
|Fundamentals of Passivhaus||8 Sep||3 Nov|
|Science of Passivhaus||9 – 10 Sep||4 – 5 Nov|
|Construction of Passivhaus||11 Sep||6 Nov|
|Thermal Bridging (optional)||12 Sep||7 Nov|
|Services||22 – 23 Sep||17 – 18 Nov|
|PHPP||24 – 25 Sep||19 – 20 Nov|
|Revision||26 Sep||21 Nov|
|Exam||18 Oct||5 Dec|
How much does it cost?
The course can be taken as individual modules, or as the full two week course.
- The full course costs £2000 +VAT for AECB/PHT members (£2349 +VAT for non-members). There is a £50 Early Bird Discount for AECB members booking at least one month in advance.
- One day module cost £249 +VAT for AECB/PHT members (£299 for non-members)
- Two day modules cost £499 +VAT for AECB/PHT members (£599 +VAT for non-members)
- AECB membership is £45 +VAT for individuals, company rates can be found here. We can add AECB membership to your invoice at the time of booking.
- PHPP software costs £125 +VAT. We can add PHPP to your invoice at the time of booking.
- THERM software is free online
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed principally at building professionals in the UK: Architects, Builders, Building Engineers and others who want to learn how to deliver real low energy buildings. It introduces the principles behind the Passivhaus standard and methodologies and the use of the Passivhaus Planning Package (PHPP) for achieving low energy performance. To get the most out of taking the full course we recommend that you need to have a knowledge of UK construction systems, an ability to read building plans and an understanding of basic algebra.
What does the course involve?
The Passivhaus Designer qualification is an internationally accredited scheme linked back to the Passivhaus Institut in Germany. On successful completion of the exam delegates are listed on
the Passivhaus Designer database where they will be awarded either Passivhaus Designer or Passivhaus Consultant status, depending on existing academic qualifications.
The CarbonLite Passivhaus Designer Programme is designed to prepare delegates not only for the exam but for future involvement in very low energy building projects.
Delegates who wish to learn more about Passivhaus, or who wish to study a certain aspect in detail without taking the exam, are welcome to attend any of the individual modules that make up the course.
Fundamentals of Passivhaus (1 day)
This course introduces the principles behind the Passivhaus standard and methodologies for a variety of building types and the use of the Passivhaus Planning Package (PHPP) for achieving low energy performance.
Science of Passivhaus (2 day)
This course addresses the fundamental physics of heat loss and gains and shows how each of the required values can be calculated. It looks at what is necessary for thermal comfort. It deals with the energy balance of windows, and the balance of the whole buildings, and how to calculate the remaining heating requirement. It also deals with primary energy requirement for the whole building, ie hot water, appliances and lighting. This is a course for those who want to understand the Physics of energy in buildings.
Construction of Passivhaus (1 day)
How do I build a Passivhaus? How is it different from normal construction? This course answers these questions along with some specific guidance on achieving the standard of airtightness and thermal bridge free construction required by the standard. It also looks at the contractual side and suggests ways that care in the allocation of responsibility can help achieve your goal.
Thermal Bridging (1 day)
Find out how to minimise the effect of thermal bridging when designing low energy and CO2 buildings to AECB standards. This course shows attendees how to use free numerical modelling software on a number of practical examples. This course is not part of the Passivhaus Designer course, but we recommend that this course is booked as a supplementary course.
Building Services for Passivhaus (2 day)
The course majors on all aspects of ventilation design, from concepts through to calculation. It then moves on to the choice of heating system, the provision of hot water, and calculations of lighting appliances and Primary Energy, with reference to the inputs required in the Planning Package for Passivhaus (PHPP).
PHPP (2 day)
This practical hands-on course will provide energy consultants, technical building designers and architects with the skills necessary to design low energy and CO2 buildings to AECB standards using the Passivhaus Planning Package (PHPP). Delegates will need to bring a laptop with mouse, pre-loaded with a copy of the PHPP software for this course.
The latest version of PHPP (Passivhaus Planning Package) and manual can bepurchased from the AECB for £125 (plus VAT). Please follow this link, or ask for details when booking your place on the course by phone.
Exam and revision
The Revision course and the exam are included in the fee for the Passivhaus Designer course. Please contact us for prices for retaking the exam.
Carbonlite Terms and Conditions
- Registration fees for CarbonLite courses are payable in advance. AECB accept cheque and BACS payments.
- Substitutions can be made at any time but the person taking the exam must have completed the whole course. Please notify email@example.com of any change in name.
- More than one month before the course: Full refund less 10% administration fee.
- More than one week before the course: 50% refund less 10% administration fee.
- Less than one week before the course: No refund available.
If you are unable to attend the course you have booked and paid for you may defer to the next available course. Only one deferral per delegate. AECB reserve the right to pass on any costs which may be incurred by last minute changes to bookings.