AECB Certified Passivhaus Designer Training Courses
Guiding you through becoming a certified Passivhaus Designer or Consultant giving you the confidence to tackle UK Passivhaus projects
- Guiding you – friendly trainers and small groups encourage a great learning experience
- Prepare you for the Passivhaus Institute exam – Dedicated revision day. Our own practice exam paper – 30 pages of worked examples to take away.
- Interesting and exciting – we visit real Passivhaus projects.
- Sociable – We encourage delegates to support each other and organise meals out for networking opportunities.
- If you don’t pass first time – we offer a free session, to look through your marked up paper on a one-to-one basis.
- UK focused – 100% rewritten – rather than the European CEPH material taught by others.
- UK examples – from the UK domestic and non-domestic sector
- Up to date – we continually update our material and teach V9 PHPP
- Modular – sit our course in one go – or as separate modules to suit your availability and finances.
- Exercises – lots of exercises used to continually affirm and test understanding.
- UK experts – our trainers are the experts who are successfully designing/ building Passivhaus in UK
- Highly experienced trainers – amongst others; Bill Butcher, Alan Clarke, Sally Godber, Nick Grant, Eric Parks, Marine Sanchez, Mark Siddall, Mike Roe, Will South, Peter Warm and the rest of the WARM staff – who have supported over 200 buildings in low energy design, and are Passivhaus Certifiers.
- Variety of experience – our collective experience includes non domestic building, large residential schemes and real Passivhaus construction.
- London – Plymouth – Hereford – plus other locations based on demand
- Central and close to public transport
- Bespoke Courses – we regularly run bespoke course for companies who need specialist training, please contact us for a quote.
For Bookings please contact Ingrid Bravo on 01752 542 546 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our 2017 training calendar:
How much does it cost?
The course can be taken as individual modules, or as the full two week course.
- The full course (including the Revision session and exam) costs £2400 +VAT for AECB/PHT members. (£2800 +VAT for non-members). There is a £400 Early Bird Discount for AECB booking at least 6 weeks in advance. Secure your place with 10% deposit.
- AECB membership is £45 +VAT for individuals, company rates can be found here. We can add AECB membership to your invoice at the time of booking.
- PHPP9 software costs £125 +VAT. We can add designPH plug-in for £280+VAT. This can also be added to the invoice.
Take individual modules:
- One day module cost £300 +VAT for AECB/PHT members (£350 for non-members)
- Two day modules cost £600 +VAT for AECB/PHT members (£700 +VAT for non-members)
- The on-line Therm course cost is £200+VAT for one year’s access and a nominal 2 hours support by email. THERM software is free online.
- We often organise 1 day courses on designPH. Please email email@example.com to express your interest.
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed principally at building professionals in the UK: Architects, Builders, Building Engineers and others who want to learn how to deliver real low energy buildings. It introduces the principles behind the Passivhaus standard and methodologies and the use of the Passivhaus Planning Package (PHPP) for achieving low energy performance. To get the most out of taking the full course we recommend that you need to have a knowledge of UK construction systems, an ability to read building plans and an understanding of basic algebra.
What does the course involve?
The Passivhaus Designer qualification is an internationally accredited scheme linked back to the Passivhaus Institut in Germany. On successful completion of the exam delegates are listed on the Passivhaus Designer database where they will be awarded either Passivhaus Designer or Passivhaus Consultant status, depending on existing academic qualifications. Both status’ have equal professional standing.
The AECB CarbonLite Programme is designed to prepare delegates not only for the exam but for future involvement in very low energy building projects.
Delegates who wish to learn more about Passivhaus, or who wish to study a certain aspect in detail without taking the exam, are welcome to attend any of the individual modules that make up the course.
Fundamentals of Passivhaus (1 day)
This course introduces the principles behind the Passivhaus standard and methodologies for a variety of building types and the use of the Passivhaus Planning Package (PHPP) for achieving low energy performance.
Science of Passivhaus (2 days)
This course addresses the fundamental physics of heat loss and gains and shows how each of the required values can be calculated. It also looks at what is necessary for thermal comfort. It deals with the energy balance of windows, the balance of the whole building, and how to calculate the remaining heating requirement. The course deals with the primary energy requirement for the whole building, ie hot water, appliances and lighting. This is a course for those who want to understand the Physics of energy in buildings.
Construction of Passivhaus (1 day)
How do I build a Passivhaus? How is it different from normal construction? This course answers these questions along with some specific guidance on achieving the level of airtightness and thermal bridge free construction required by the standard. It also looks at the contractual side and suggests ways that care in the allocation of responsibility can help achieve your goal.
Building Services for Passivhaus (2 days)
The course majors on all aspects of ventilation design, from concepts through to calculation. It then moves on to the choice of heating system, the provision of hot water, and calculations of lighting appliances and Primary Energy; with reference to the inputs required in the Planning Package for Passivhaus (PHPP).
PHPP (2 days)
This practical hands-on course will provide energy consultants, technical building designers and architects with the skills necessary to design low energy / CO2 buildings to AECB standards using the Passivhaus Planning Package (PHPP). Delegates will need to bring a laptop with mouse, pre-loaded with a copy of the PHPP software for this course.
The latest version of PHPP (Passivhaus Planning Package) and manual can be purchased from the AECB for £125 (plus VAT). Please follow this link, or ask for details when booking your place on the course by phone.
Exam and Revision (1.5 days)
The Revision course and the exam are included in the fee for the Passivhaus Designer course. Please contact us for prices for retaking the exam.
Additional courses to the Passivhaus Designer course (CEPH):
*Online Therm course www.carbonlitetraining.co.uk
How bad are your thermal bridges? Thermal bridges are one of the key ways that buildings lose much more heat than expected. Understanding them is critical to designing low energy buildings. Learn how to use the (free) software “THERM” with the experts from the AECB CarbonLite team. The new online Therm course allows people to learn at their own speed and in their own time. To sample the course you can log in as a guest and use the set up instructions “Setting up THERM for Use in Thermal Bridge Calculations” that will guide you step by step to install Therm on your computer. The initial set up of Therm can be a bit tricky and as part of the course we offer assistance if you get stuck.
Note: we no longer teach the one day THERM course – this has been replaced by this interactive online course.
*Passivhaus Bitesize www.peterwarm.co.uk/train/passivhaus-bitesize
The Passivhaus Bitesize course aims to explain in 4 afternoon sessions the general principles of what makes a good low energy, comfortable building, based on the Passivhaus standard. The training is ideal for professionals that want to learn more about Passivhaus Design and Construction. Each of the four sessions will be run by experts in the field.
*designPH (1 day)
Dave Edwards will lead a practical modelling exercise using the new designPH plug in for SketchUp. The first half of the session will cover some basic SketchUp concepts and the second half aims to work through inputting an example model in designPH. Delegates will need a basic knowledge on Sketchup and a suitable laptop for this session with the Sketchup and designPH installed. – We will provide a demo version for those who don’t have a copy of designPH already. Find out more here.
Carbonlite Terms and Conditions
- Registration fees for CarbonLite courses are payable in advance. AECB accept cheque and BACS payments.
- Substitutions can be made at any time but the person taking the exam must have completed the whole course. Please notify firstname.lastname@example.org of any change in name.
- More than one month before the course: Full refund less 10% administration fee.
- More than one week before the course: 50% refund less 10% administration fee.
- Less than one week before the course: No refund available.
If you are unable to attend the course you have booked and paid for you may defer to the next available course. You must let us know at least 2 weeks before the course starts. Only one deferral per delegate. AECB reserve the right to pass on any costs which may be incurred by last minute changes to bookings.
Thank you to our sponsors Saint-Gobain and Rationel with the generous support in the development of our course material: