Author Topic: Icynene - alternative to Warmcel?  (Read 36697 times)

Andy Simmonds

• AECBmember
  • Andy Simmonds
    • View Profile
    • www.simmondsmills.com
Re: Icynene - alternative to Warmcel?
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
Claus - what did the Isospray rep say about the risk of interstitial condensation risk leading to early decay of the rafters?!

Claus Best

• AECBmember
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:37 PM »
Hi Andy, the Isospray rep told us there wouldn't be any condensation problems since a certain amount of warmth still comes through from heated rooms below.  He mentioned the problem with thick mineral wool insulation on top of the ceiling level, which would keep heat in and produce damp on underside of felt after frosty nights.
He also mentioned that their spray contained anti fungal properties which would deal with any timber problems.

Jeff Hood

• View Profile
    • Icynene Inc.
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 11:31:05 PM »
Icynene would not need additional fire protection other than the plasterboard which presumably serves as the ceiling of the bedroom.  If it gets wet by a lot of water- the water will drip though and not be held in place for qa long time against rafters .  It would require quite a bit of standing water on top of the foam to create this situation and drive water through the foam, but it does dry out.   A small amount of water would be observed as beading on the skin of the foam and would dry to the outside.

Jeff Hood

• View Profile
    • Icynene Inc.
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 11:34:27 PM »
our soft foam is too soft to plaster although there is a system for render in France developed by our distributor  See Paris ISO therm  Intended for facade renovation of listed buildings but probably not practical for a loft situation.

fostertom

• AECBmember
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »
Wow, that's v interesting Jeff - a great answer for EWIing old buildings with very wobbly wall surfaces such as my Devon cob farmhouse.  As well as flat-wall buildings, the thermal mass all inside a breatheable insulation jacket. However, also interesting as an internal insulation, if that's how it has to be. Can you provide more info?

Jeff Hood

• View Profile
    • Icynene Inc.
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 10:07:05 PM »
Sorry I don't have any more on the ParISOTherm system other than what is on the Peinteco website http://www.peinteco.com/lemoniteurDec09.pdf

Jeff Hood

• View Profile
    • Icynene Inc.
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2010, 10:10:09 PM »
If there is interest though I can see what more details I can obtain.

Jeff Hood

• View Profile
    • Icynene Inc.
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 09:05:59 PM »
Jeff Hood from Icynene here with an item that may be of interest to members who do renovation of historic properties.   I just posted a reply to Tom in the Ureaformaldehyde cavity wall thread regarding work we recently conducted together with Robert Gordon University using our injection foam (also known as Pour Foam) to insulate a listed 1700's house in Scotland.  As we could not drill holes into the very fragile lath and plaster walls we had to devise another technique which worked quite well.  We used an infra red camera to track the rise of the foam in the cavity between the plaster and stone wall.  The university researcher will be monitoring the energy efficiency of the wall. 

fostertom

• AECBmember
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »
I've just emailed Jeff Hood asking whether there's any news on
“Paris ISO therm  Intended for facade renovation of listed buildings” and
“using our injection foam (also known as Pour Foam) to insulate a listed 1700's house in Scotland”

fostertom

• AECBmember
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
And got reply - Jeff Hood now retired from Icynene.

naughty-teens