Author Topic: Use of dense blockwork in upper storeys  (Read 3977 times)

Mark Wakelin

• AECBmember
    • View Profile
Use of dense blockwork in upper storeys
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
Working on a refit job where i am adopting the silver standard for cavity wall construction.  The contractor has flagged that it is going to have cost implications by using the dense blockwork due to increased labour rates and also as blockwork is slower to construct as limited to 5-6 courses before time is given for mortar to cure.  Has anyone faced the same sort of feedback or any ideas on likely over costs for their use?

Mark Siddall

• View Profile
Re: Use of dense blockwork in upper storeys
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »
Mark
I've not come across such issues to date.

1) What will the contractor do when/if the plaster finish cracks as a result of using a lightweight block? (I understand that lightweight blocks wick the moisture out of the plaster quicker, which can then lead to cracking.)
2) Can't the 5-6 courses limitation be managed? (How many linear meters of block work are there to lay in one course, and how long would it take to do a complete circuit?)

Mark

David OLIVIER

• AECBmember
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:36 PM »
In the rest of Europe they use cranes!!

Mark Wakelin

• AECBmember
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »
Hi

Thanks Mark & David. 

Well we were just going to use a tele-handler actually and the extra labour cost is due to it taking longer to physically man handle the heavier blocks once on the scaffold!

Yes i had experienced the same of lightweight blockwork wicking the moisture which as you say leads to surface fissures.  Unfortunately, as it is a refurb extension the linear meterage is not that great so the observation is it is likely to impact daily progress.

I'll drop you an update once i have got actual cost feedback from the contractors tendering.

Regards

Mark