AECB (Association for Environment Conscious Building) members have full access to this forum which holds a wealth of information on the topics listed. Other forum visitors may freely search and read the forum but may not post new topics or replies.

Become an AECB member today to be able to post on this forum as well as receiving a host of other benefits.

Click here to see who we are and what we can offer you.

Author Topic: An open invitation  (Read 4163 times)

JSHarris

• View Profile
An open invitation
« on: November 22, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »
We've now got our passive self-build house up and insulated and are going to be doing the external cladding, internal fit out etc, over the next few months.  The basic spec is:

130m2 net internal floor area
Wall U value 0.12
Floor U value 0.105
Roof U value 0.099
Door U value 0.9
Window U value 0.7 (average Uw, 0.5 centre pane Uw)
Airtightness (as of this morning's test) 0.49 ACH at 50 Pa

If anyone wants to visit and have a look around, chat about the design and compromises we've made, then they are more than welcome.  Our site is mid-way between Salisbury and Shaftesbury, in the south western corner of Wiltshire, almost on the border with Dorset.

Just let me know by PM if you'd like to come and have a look around.

soraya

• View Profile
Re: An open invitation
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »
Hi would love to come & look or at least talk on the phone. We are just about to employ Viking House/MBC Timberframe Ltd. Is this who you used ?

Feeling a little insecure because although everything they have said fits what we want to achieve we have no way of checking apart from this if their previous project have been successful.

We would dearly like to talk to anyone who has used them & is now sitting pretty in their lovely new energy efficient house.

Hope you hear from someone soon.

Soraya

JSHarris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
You're more than welcome to come and look around.  The house is almost finished now and has most of the systems installed and working.  It's slow going because I'm doing most of the fit out, plumbing etc on  my own.  I'll PM you my email address.

It is a Viking/MBC foundation system and frame build, and we've been very impressed with them, really nice people to work with.

Jeremy

dan1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »
Hi Jeremy.
I'm hoping to commision Viking house in the next few months when plans are finalised for our build in south Bristol. I'd be really interested in your thoughts about the package, how the build went, and most importantly, how it is to live in now it's (nearly?) finished? Would you reccomend them in hindsight?
Best wishes
Dan

JSHarris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 03:53:53 PM »
Hi Dan,

The main build went really well, couldn't fault MBC Timberframe at all, they did a great job and were super people to deal with.  I'd use them again without question.

The issues we've had were mainly unconnected with the build.  We're not on mains water and our borehole water supply proved to be problematic.  It's sorted now, but it probably took a year to get right and held up a load of other work.

On the plus side, the delay caused by not having water did allow us to get the house pretty much completed inside and get all the systems running, so although we're not quite moved in yet (but pretty close) I do have about a year's worth of knowledge as to how the house performs.  The big surprise is that the heating system isn't really needed, but I should have paid more attention to shading on the East elevation, to reduce solar gain.  The house tends to get a bit warm on mild days in spring and autumn, when the low sun angle penetrates deeply into the house.  No real problem in this regard in mid-summer, as the roof overhang and higher sun angle works to keep the solar gain down.

The house is truly "net energy negative", in that it generates more from the 6.25 kWp PV array than it uses over the course of a year (even allowing for the additional energy needed for hot water once we've moved in), but only by using grid power in winter and exporting a lot in summer.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the way things have gone, although I made a few mistakes along the way.  The hot water system was an issue, as I initially used a 260 litre thermal store, with double thickness insulation and another added layer of 50mm insulation over that, but the waste heat from this still made the adjacent bedroom very hot in summer.  Even with all the added insulation the thermal store was still losing around 2.5 kWh per day.  The manufacturers spec for these things isn't representative of them being kept hot all day by a PV energy diverter and immersion.  I've ripped the thermal store out and fitted a very neat and much smaller phase change material thermal store, a Sunamp PV, and that has extremely low heat losses and seems to work very well.  It also takes up a fraction of the space of the old water filled thermal store and weighs a fair bit less, too.

We're not that far from you, maybe an hour to an hour and a half drive, and you're welcome to visit. Hope the above is useful.

Jeremy

Piers Sadler

• AECBmember
    • View Profile
    • Piers Sadler Consulting
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
Jeremy
I'm designing a Passivhaus near Shaftesbury but just in Wiltshire, so presumably close to you.  we are thinking of using MBC.  i am sure my client will be interested in a visit.  Can you PM me with details please?  I have also sent a PM to Dan as I am based in Bristol.
Piers

dan1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:19:55 PM »
Hi Jeremy, that's kind! We'd really appreciate coming to have a look. I'd also like to pick your brains about the thermal store issues, as I was planning to use one.
I've tried to pm you but I don't seem to be allowed to.
Perhaps we could pop by one weekend in Feb?
Regards
Dan

JSHarris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »
Hi Piers and Dan,

I don't appear to be able to send PM's either, which is a nuisance, as I'd rather not post open contact details.  I have a blog here: http://www.ebuild.co.uk/blog/12-the-house-at-mill-orchard/ and there is a PM facility on ebuild that's not restricted, other than you needing to sign up to the forum (which is pretty busy, with lots of low energy discussions, try this link to see the latest posts: http://www.ebuild.co.uk/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums ).

Were in Fovant, about 7 miles or so East of Shaftesbury and there is already another PH, or near PH standard new build being planned for a plot on the edge of the village.  Our build seems to have created a bit of local interest in low energy housing!

Anyone is welcome to visit, if you PM me on ebuild (username jsharris) then I can give you contact details and instructions on how to find us.