AECB (Association for Environment Conscious Building) members have full access to this forum which holds a wealth of information on the topics listed. Other forum visitors may freely search and read the forum but may not post new topics or replies.

Become an AECB member today to be able to post on this forum as well as receiving a host of other benefits.

Click here to see who we are and what we can offer you.

Author Topic: Spam again  (Read 3645 times)

Andy Palmer

• AECBmember
  • Distinctive Property Development Ltd
    • View Profile
Spam again
« on: February 26, 2014, 06:34:46 PM »
It would be really good not to come home to more than 500 notifications for new topics on the public board, all of which are spam! This is a problem that seems to happen every few weeks.

I appreciate that the spammers are the bad guys here, and feel a little guilty for having a moan. However, if all of the moderators opted to be notified when a new topic is created, as I am, surely a spam attack would be easy to spot? This, I assume, would allow the accounts used by the spammers to be swiftly deleted.

Can something be done to prevent bots from registering as new members of the forum?

Can something be done to spot 100 new topics per hour from a new user with a crazy-sounding username? My credit card company stops my card if I make 10 purchases in a day!

Tahir - thanks for responding swiftly to my email. I'm curious - did you know this had been going on all afternoon, or was it my email which alerted you? Things seemed to have calmed down now, so thanks for pulling the plug!!! :-)

Best regards

Andy

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Spam again
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »
These spammers are not bots but humans
I already have anti bot spam measures in place
I am not going to elaborate  on that topic
I apologise for the inconvenience  but I am doing my best and am monitoring  the board and new member signups.
We are intending to  end  guest member  registrations and  charge a nominal fee to put a stop to this  problem - please  be patient and I hope to  implement this very soon

Andy Palmer

• AECBmember
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »
Just to reiterate: "I appreciate that the spammers are the bad guys here, and feel a little guilty for having a moan."!

It's reassuring that it's being looked into. I, and I'm sure many others, appreciate your efforts.

Today's human spammer was very busy and an excellent typist! ;-)

How useful is it for members to report spam? I ask, because on two occasions, it had been arriving for hours, but stopped straight after I reported it thanks to the quick actions of the moderator.

I've no problem being patient, and appreciate that it's not a straightforward problem. Good luck!

Andy

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »
It is useful for members to report spam as this automatically alerts all the  relevant moderators :)