- This event has passed.
AECB Scotland Group & SEDA, Preston Model: Community Wealth Building: Going Local
July 21 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
About this Event
Julian Manley has worked closely with Cllr Matthew Brown, Leader of Preston City Council, and other stakeholders since 2012 in facilitating the development of what’s known as the ‘Preston Model’.
Julian will describe how Preston is going local / actively regenerating by keeping wealth created in the city. The Preston Model engenders democracy and participation – building on community wealth building work in USA.
Its existence depends on people – and people are different everywhere. So, the idea is to ignite ideas that work for people in different places.
The breakout discussions will generate practical ideas for the application of these ideas to real life economic, social and climate challenges facing communities in Scotland.
- 5.00pm “Doors Open” – our meeting etiquette / harvest log
- 5.15pm Welcome and introductions
- 5.20pm Dr Julian Manley: an informative provocation
- 5.40pm Break out into discussion groups
- 6.20pm Comfort Break
- 6.25pm Return to Plenary for sharing ideas
- 6.45pm Summary and Close at 7.00pm
Useful Background Reading:
- What is Community Wealth Building? Rethinking Poverty blog
- Rob Hopkins meets Cllr Matthew Brown to explore “What If?”
- Neil McInroy, CLES CEO seconded to ScotGov to assist with CWB
While initiated by Transition Edinburgh this Tuesdays4Climate event is co-hosted by the Scottish Communities Climate Action Network, Scottish Ecological Design Association, AECB, Wellbeing Economy Alliance, Friends of the Earth Scotland and Transition Scotland