Featured: Join us for our ‘Re-energise’ 2018 Convention!
This ‘escape to the country’ will provide delegates with a unique opportunity to reflect, reconnect and re-energise.
In the run-up to our 30th anniversary year in 2019 we are planning first an AECB Convention in 2018 and a larger Conference in 2019.
The AECB 2018 Convention on 14-15 September 2018 will provide an inspiring and relaxing setting to allow members and non-members to reinvigorate the core values associated with our Charter and to inspire members to help direct the way forward and encourage the next generation.
Taking place in a new Passivhaus Community Centre in the rural village of Garway, in Herefordshire close to the Welsh/English border, this ‘escape to the country’ will provide delegates with a unique opportunity to reflect, reconnect and re-energise.
The two-day programme will include:
- Visionary speakers
Our main speaker, Nafeez Ahmed is according to Rob Hopkins, founder of the Transition Towns movement “One of the most illuminating voices in the British media”. Nafeez will talk on the ‘crisis of civilisation’ as the result of the interdependent issues of fossil fuels, geopolitics, climate change, resource depletion and social unrest, followed by an interactive workshop to explore the issues in groups and with Nafeez. Read a recent article by Nafeez – Only ‘collective intelligence’ can help us stave off an uninhabitable planet.
International speaker and direct descendant of Guy Fawkes, Dr Steven Fawkes works tirelessly to ‘awaken the sleeping giant of energy efficiency’ and will talk on the newly sexy subject of energy efficiency investment appraisal, followed by a hands-on software based workshop with the AECB’s own Tim Martel of OptimalRetrofit to explore retrofit scenario modelling.
- Offering for debate by AECB members, a significantly reworked draft AECB Charter – a renewed call to action – based on the “Second Warning to Humanity” issued by the Alliance of World Scientists.
- Talk and tours by those involved in the development of the Garway Community Centre on ‘Resilience in the Community’.
- Briefing on the Bonfield Process and new retrofit standard.
- Technical and practical workshops looking at products, projects and ‘natural building’ skills.
- Workshop on toxicity, fire and materials
- Local site visits to local low energy and natural material buildings
- Demonstrations of members’ products and materials
- Fun social evening with relaxing breakout space, music, food and a bar!
Knowledge transfer will be a key feature with expert speakers, case studies and plenty of time for questions and discussion.
This will be a truly unique AECB event and help to direct our way forward.
We are really looking forward to this event and hope you will be a part of it. Online registration will be open in the new year.
For convention enquiries please contact: Karen Purvis | 07792 296861
For exhibition and sponsorship enquiries please contact: James Allen | 07759 817829
Location: Garway Community Centre
Garway is a village, centred around a large public common in the south west of Herefordshire (HR2 8RQ) close to Hereford, Monmouth and Ross on Wye.
The new Community Centre is a new, timber framed Passivhaus multi-purpose building. Convention activities will be based in the Centre, as well as using space in the adjacent School and barns adjacent to the site.