Go to Forum Home Building Design 1000 passivehouses in Austria – how many Gold and Silver in the UK?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      SimmondsMills
      Participant

a useful link to start assessing the growth of the passivhaus movement in Europe – here Austria: http://www.igpassivhaus.at/

The results of the AECB survey into who is building to AECB Silver and Gold will be posted on the web site soon, but approximately there are currently 27 projects aiming for Silver and 62 projects aiming for Gold either on the drawing board or on site (three projects are aiming for Platinum – not detailed below). Survey results are still trickling in.

Silver

102 new homes
        1 domestic refurbishment
        3 house extensions
        2 schools
        0 offices
        2 community buildings

Gold

55 new homes
        1 domestic refurbishment
        1 house extensions
        4 schools
        4 Offices
        2 community buildings

Watch this forum for developments….those responding to the survey will be contacted directly concerning further support that the AECB is developing for early adopters.

Anonymous

Andy
          – fascinating statistics and I take considerable comfort from the fact I'm not alone in designing my own Silver self-build, currently in planning.

It would be great to hear from other 'early adopters' of the standards in a similar position to myself on this forum/thread, not least those who aren't engaged in the building/building design professions but have used the standards as part of the brief to their architect/designer/builder.

Any takers?

Steve

SimmondsMills
          Participant

Steve,
            National energy foundation and National Energy Services (Milton Keynes) have said they would like to host and sponsor an event at their low energy HQ for all you early adopters (possible dates some time in March). I might as well broach this idea at an early stage here and now to get discussion going..

It would be a one day event, NES would bring some NHER assessors who would like to see what you are all doing, and we want it to be useful and interactive for you all. However there are a lot of you, so we couldn't talk about all the projects in one day. I had an idea to select case studies (somehow!), and try and get workshop groups assessing others' designs and feeding back to all – that sort of thing.

What would you find useful at such an event?

Again when I get a moment more (probably early next week), I will contact all the other early adopters alerting them to this thread.

best wishes

Andy

Nick Grant
            Participant

Good luck with the balcony thermal/structural details! Not easy if cantilevered.

Nick

Nick Grant
              Participant

And our single woodstone doesn't act as a passive stack as supply air is through a 4″ pipe cast in the slab that enters a skirt under the stove.

However I'd agree (reading between your lines) that it makes little sense in carbon terms to use electric to drive MVHR to save wood heat although good to control moisture.

Hope this doesnt kick off another biomass discussion!!!

SimmondsMills
                Participant

Colin
                  would you be interested in sharing ongoing your energy performance data with the AECB? Are you intending to keep track of the amounts of various fuels used? If it helps , after Christmas, AECB will be making available a format for members to record such data, for use with the CarbonLite programme…

SimmondsMills
                  Participant

Colin – I see you are online!
                    I want to reply in some detail to issues raised here…but not now…I will come back to this in the new year..after we have completed a funding application in part to fund writing the 'performance' specification for silver and gold: we currently have the draft 'prescriptive' version on the web site, which seemed like the best place to begin. Hence it is, as you say, 'prescriptive'. Thus this version concentrates on the means, the ends hopefully taking care of themselves (when the accreditation route is operational) and the 'performance' version will concentrate on the ends, leaving the means much more up to the designer…

With early adopters of the standards and no accreditation route operational we have a situation where a bit of both is going on…from which we will learn a lot.

re Silver and passive stack…I will ask David Olivier and Peter Warm, at some point to chip in here to discuss passive stack..the final versions of the standards are likely to advise against passive stack, but not preclude it for Silver.

Meanwhile we need to secure our funding to quickly develop the full CarbonLite programme.

Passive stack can't work when the stack effect is zero, yet buildings need ventilation under all weather conditions. (Windows may not always be open in warm weather.) Fresh air intake rates are related to occupancy, not to stack effect or windspeed. Passive stack was phased out in Norway as new buildings became tighter and approached the requirements of Silver. This was 25 yrs ago.

I am trying to concentrate on overseas experience and what works. Germany's or Denmark's CO2 emissions from buildings are falling, the UK's are rising. Could they be doing things right?

In short I'd expect a house or flat of the insulation levels concerned and fitted with PS to use more energy than one fitted with MVHR or MEV. It was such considerations and many more that led Canada, Germany and Switzerland to require mech. vent. in their low-energy standards.

An advantage of prescriptive standards is that they can be enforced more easily and cheaply. A second is they're less prone to fraud or innocent error. A third is that they're more popular with most users. A survey was once done in Oregon. USA. At the time, the state had allowed either a prescriptive or performance route to compliance for some years. It showed that of housebuilders in the period (two years, I think) who had chosen only to meet the bare minimum requirements in the Building Code:
                    1. one builder had chosen to do calculations;
                    2. several 10,000s had selected a pre-calculated solution (five combinations of R-values, glazing areas and orientations and thermal mass) which the state certified would meet the underlying energy performance required by Code.

D.

I'm worried about biomass emissions but enough of that – availability's an even bigger issue as you can't burn and create emissions if none's available. Like fossil fuels, biofuels are tradeable and once it becomes an important energy source and in demand for chemical feedstocks or steelmaking or some other task (post-cheap oil) the price will soar until other (slightly less limited) renewables such as solar or wind or geothermal become worth installing.

The total EU-25 potential for biofuels (i.e., a sustainable output after food production is covered) has been put at 1800 TWh/yr (the UK itself uses roughly 2500 TWh/yr). Most countries are more wooded than the UK. Germany wants to turn most of its biomass resource into liquid fuels because they burn more efficiently and cleanly, are more easily stored and can be used in transport.

David.

Nick Grant
                    Participant

I know I made a plea not to get into the biomass debate but seeing where the discussion went I was about to chip in along the lines of David and Chris who were clearer than I could have been.

As someone who has built a very low carbon home I am painfully aware of the cheat factor of using woodheat. Our woodheated house would emit less CO2 over it's life if we hadnt had such thick insulation and double glazing!!!! Indeed rural houses of 200 (guess) years ago were completely carbon neutral (including construction) so would meet a non prescriptive Gold standard based on CO2. I grew up in such a cottage but the previous owners had installed oil fired heating and electricity for lighting rather than smoky rush lights.

Whilst I think my point about not doing MVHR if we have gone down the biomass route stands, I wouldnt make the same case for a low heat loss building design. At first thought it seems logical to invest in enough insulation to keep wood bills low enough but super insulation doesnt seem to make sense as we are investing money and embodied energy to save no carbon and with a very long cost payback.

However it's an easy thing for a future ownere to modernise by adding a gas boiler or electric convectors but very hard to improve on a less than optimal shell as we all know.

Hence I'm for prescription where it's hard to upgrade later.

Happy New Year to you all.

Nick

If only biomass heating, insulation and ventilation could be easily dealt with by Building Regulations and Passive House, Silver & Gold Standards. It isn't easily covered and most people are unaware how limited the resource is compared; e.g. to the energy flow which maintains the current western European standard of living (western Europe uses energy at a modest rate compared to east ern Europe, Russia, the Americas and Australasia).

The sustainable biofuel potential of 1800 TWh/yr quoted for the EU is 30% less than UK national energy use alone. It equals 450 kWh/yr per EU citizen. That's an average 50 watts, or less than the heat loss through the insulation of a typical DHW tank!

As I said, biomass will also be in demand, along with diminishing oil and gas, to make fuel for cars/lorries (maybe “essential uses” only by then), make steel, make fertilisers (i.e., if organic agriculture isn't enough to feed a world of 9 billion people). Given the 2nd. law of thermodynamics, as we move towards an era of extreme energy scarcity it's not a good idea to burn 1 kWh of what will be scarce, high-grade fuel to produce 0.5-0.75 kWh of low-grade heat.

David.

Nick Grant
                      Participant

Colin

I'm rural, woodfired and happy with that but would still make the case against this as a zero carbon strategy on a significant scale. Cheap waste wood is only that because of insufficient demand. Various people have done the sums, eg David's figures above, George Monbiot in Heat etc.

Re changing appliance from ZC to carbon intensive being stopped by Building Regs – I thought you were rural 🙂

DIY installations and electric heaters from Woolworths aside, if owner decides they can't lug logs anymore due to infirmity, will Building Control insist on insulation retrofit to Silver Standard (where we started) before installing gas heating or beyond Gold before fitting electric??

Nick Grant
                        Participant

Colin

I'm just making the point that heating systems can be changed easily (very easily if we are talking plug in electric heaters). Similarly micro gen' etc can be bolted on and then not fixed when it fails.

All this is in context of whether insulation etc can be relaxed for low carbon energy sources.

I fall foul of my own logic by suggesting that if electric heating is to be used (new topic please if anyone wants to discuss that!!!) then the fabric needs to be Gold/Passive and MVHR is essential.

I will not risk commenting on rural building regs!

Mark Siddall
                          Participant

When trying to promote the standards to the less environmentally aware layman reference points on construction costs and payback periods would be rather handy.
                            I know its a subject fraught with complexity due to concerns about predicting fuel costs, whether or not you use steady state analysis heat loss analysis, occupancy patterns etc.

From this line of enquiry a few questions arise: –
                            1) Has the AECB collated the £/sqm for the Silver and Gold projects and compared this to the national average construction cost for the various typologies? If so, what is the range in the up turn cost (i.e. between x% and y%)?
                            2) Is there any data on the payback periods for building to these standards?

(The CEPHEUS Report by the Passive House Institute suggests that you can achieve Payback within 30 years if you build to their standards. This data however relates to another country with different building procedures, abilities and costs.)

3) I guess an underlying question is, does the AECB have a framework for Payback Periods that can be applied to its standards?

If there is an underlying agruement to this line of questioning it is; if the AECB is to expand the appeal of the Silver and Gold standards such data is worth developing.

Regards,
                            Mark

CEPHEUS was a set of mixed (in all senses) projects in Sweden, Germany, Austria, Switzerland & France. UK was set to take part with three projects of 6-10 houses each but could get no matched funding – some things don't change! A 30 yr payback period usually reflects prototype technology or failure to value-engineer projects. It's been empirically lower with German Passive Houses since 2000, the mortgage payments on the extra cost are less than the fuel savings, which is why the number is growing quite fast.

If even a standard Passive House approach can cut the residual heat load of a c100 m2 house to 150 kWh/month (i.e., the load net of active solar hot water) what's the seasonal efficiency of solid fuel plant? At that load, the start-stop losses even of some condensing oil boilers cause a loss of efficiency (recent Danish work).

The conditions in western England, Wales and Ireland give more scope than in Germany (same latitude) to displace fossil fuel by passive solar (larger than normal south windows). The saving could be >500 kWh/yr on a small dwelling and is cheap or almost free if implemented at design stage. Result: residual load maybe <100 kWh/month. What's the efficiency of wood pellet plant at this load (I won't even ask about other wood-burning plant)?

Meet this load from electric heat pumps? A severe peak load problem if a lot of people were all to do it, as my paper on the GEI pointed out.

Active solar backed up with a fluid biofuel that burns as cleanly as/cleaner than LPG? Wadenswil project in Switzerland used this 17 years ago (i.e., LPG, not liquid biofuels) on the four houses with long-term solar heat stores.

Active solar combined with liquid-biofuelled micro-CHP? Seems worth thinking about; produces peak electricity to suit the national grid, no peak load problem since the fuel is stored locally. LPG-fired mini-CHP (6 houses) was used on the other six houses at Wadenswil.

I'm also rural, 5 km fron the nearest gas main. My neighbours burn oil/LPG so the air in this hamlet is strikingly clear compared to past rural air containing more solid fuel combustion products …. but I digress. The even more rural house I'm building will be as close to all-solar as I can get and the logical position to take re. a prototype is for someone else (or me?) then to improve on it.

Incidentally this thread now includes numerous different topics including costs, supply air windows, PSV and the approach to biomass heating systems but I hope this one is clear.

David.

Mark Siddall
                            Participant

David,
                              Thanks for picking up on the incongruities within the posting (i.e. CEPHEUS being pan-European and being at an experimental stage). Now that Passive House has had the chance to bed in somewhat it’s reasonable to expect that this has given rise to a better understanding of means by which value engineering can be undertaken. As a consequence payback times will have had the opportunity to fall; in some cases I would guess quite considerably.
                              So, I guess we have to opportunity to learn from those experiences and avoid the pit falls. Would you agree that this would require new construction techniques for the UK (Are there any books that would be a useful reference?), or do you think that UK techniques will suffice?

Touching on other reasons for the spread of the Passive House, from other information that I have read it would seem that the banks in Germany (and some other European countries) help to promote Passive House projects by offering lower mortgage rates. It would be nice to think that this could happen over here with the AECB standards. Has the AECB approached any moneylenders been approached on this matter?
                              (The reason for asking is that I read one survey that noted the Financial Services sector, through its various CSR charters, has a desire to be “seen to be green”. If the survey holds true (can’t find the stats) then offering, for want of a term, Eco-mortgages would a sure fire way for them to make ground on this. Also if banks consider the trend for rising fuel prices Eco-mortgages makes sense i.e. the banks have greater fiscal security knowing that these houses are less likely to be reposed due to fuel bills.)

To pick on your note about peak electrical loads, I see the logic now and I agree that this should be avoided as this would lead to an oversized electrical supply that, left to government initiatives, would no doubt require nuclear power stations and other no no’s that will have long term impacts. Given that the energy demand is so low for the AECB Gold tying the heating system to both the MVHR and the Solar water makes a whole lot of sense.

On this basis I’m interested in idea of LPG-fired mini-CHP – Is there a manufacturer/supplier in the UK, or is this another market that needs to develop i.e. who would you need to import from?

Finally the questions raised above RE: AECB Silver/Gold cost data, payback period, upturn cost…though I will add…. if subjected to well managed value engineered design.

regards,
                              Mark

Mark

It was reported a few years ago that the share of construction systems in German Passive Houses to date had been:

60-65% masonry (normal in Germany)
                              20-25% concrete (BECO and similar)
                              15% timber

I think this includes detached and row houses and flats and offices might have a higher proportion of heavyweight construction. PHI advice is to use a high thermal capacity, to reduce the need for artificial cooling.

95% of normal German construction is masonry with concrete floors. So both of the less usual materials have a higher share.

In short I see little obstacle to building from masonry, concrete or timber but concrete would be the easiest to get airtight as concrete walls tend to be relatively airtight without a special effort. Timber can give difficulty in detailing and specifying the right membranes; masonry with timber upper floors gives difficulty due to air leaks around the joists (or joist hangers) and concrete upper floors are much easier to make airtight (rest of Europe adopted them 50-100 yrs ago; Ireland is moving in this direction, the UK much more slowly) .

Cavity walls seem a bit OTT, and more difficult to ensure really good workmanship; see elsewhere on this forum. They made sense in the past but solid walls with external insulation are much easier to detail and build. The UK, Ireland & Denmark all use cavity walls so any development of use to one of these will help the other two countries.

LPG fired mini-CHP (or in future, fired by a clean biofuel; i.e. a liquid or a gas) is just my suggestion as to what could make sense outside the gas supply area but where the housing density is still OK for heat mains. One would still expect most heat in spring/summer/autumn to be from solar but this could complement it.

Many lenders in the USA offer lower interest rates for energy-efficient housing – also in Canada – but I've never heard of anything like it in the UK! Certainly AECB hasn't been approached. The Norwich and Peterborough B S might be interested if/when we have time to approach them as they give a small prize every year to an eco self-builder.

David.

Mark Siddall
                              Participant

Chris,
                                Do you think that in terms of promoting the Gold and Silver standards moves to get the larger high street banks involved could be benefitial?

David,
                                Is the Austrian construction industry similar to that of Germany with regard to its focus on masonry construction?

Mark

Yes, but good as the EBS is it may not always manage the lowest rate on the high street. If the best rate on offer anywhere is 5 percent and an energy- efficient house obtains a reduction of 0.25-0.5 percent this could transform the situation because the monthly repayments on a loan of £105,000 are then the lower than the repayments on a normal loan of say £100.

I think Austria is similar to Germany with regional variations and more timber construction in some provinces than others.

D.

Anonymous

This is not advice – just to get me out of any trouble!

The mortgage market in the UK is ultra-competitive, which means certainly for mainstream lenders that if they can offer very low rates they already do so and don't happen to have a tranche of cheap money lying around on the back of which they can offer even cheaper rates to PassivHaus homes.

The reality is that major lenders in the UK, wedded to volume and fast transaction times, do not believe that there is the demand for a 'green' mortgage. They also do not believe that energy efficiency is an important consideration to home buyers, partly because energy bills are not their greatest outgoing, but also because they are more focussed on location, kitchen, bathroom, Big Brother et al. They don't believe valuers understand green homes etc. Pretty much the position outlined by a major lender yesterday evening at the House of Commons.

There are discounts for energy-efficiency in other international markets, some work better than others, market conditions are very different from the UK, often the discounts are on the back of poor standard lending rates so the discount doesn't deliver that much. In the US the energy-efficiency mortgages are delivered on the back of guarantee schemes usually provided by government bodies – a type of support for lenders which just doesn't exist here.

Think about it – if PassivHaus/green homes are the best, shouldn't they deserve the best rates – yes, but it is illogical to assume any lender will be able to guarantee that the rate they offer will always be the best in the market. It's not in their control, and they have to balance this against other variables in their business like the cost to them of the funds they will be lending on.

No names but you might find that some of the lenders offering carbon-offset mortgages actually have higher rates on these products.

Ecology BS doesn't offer headline grabbing rates on the high-street. But although it doesn't play the game of enticing customers through short term deals, although it turns away non-green business, it has still been recognised as 3rd best value building society and 6th best value lender over 10 years in the 2006 What Mortgage Awards.

And this is before our recently announced C-Change 1% discount to support specific energy-efficiency measures and renewables.

Mark Siddall
                                  Participant

As I think most people are aware one of the things that is probably hindering the implimentation of more construction at Silver and Gold standard is access to suitable construction information and details. Has anyone come across the first edition of this book? If so is in any good for use in the UK? The most resent edition of this book (mixed suggestions as to whether its been published yet) has been updated to incorporate the Passive House standard.

Details for Passive Houses – A Catalogue of Ecologically Rated Constructions
                                    available from Springer or Amazon.com and Amazon.fr (but not Amazon.co.uk I note…..typical!)
                                    http://www.springer.com/uk/home?SGWID=3-102-22-90285285-0&changeHeader=true

(Assuming that the book fits the bill in a generic sense the airtightness and thermal bridging principles could concievably be applied to both Silver and Gold standards. Thus allowing designers to gain confidence in the practicality and workabilty of the details whilst also and allowing them, if they work with the same constructors regularly, to approach those most exacting construction standards set out by the Gold standard.)

Mark

Mark Siddall
                                    Participant

At the beginning of the thread the posting noted that Gold standard buildings include: –

4 schools
                                      4 Offices
                                      2 community buildings

Is it possible to access the details related to these projects i.e. project name, client, architect, services engineers, area (m2), cost etc? I would be fascinated to read more about these projects.
                                      I know the posting also noted that we should “watch this space,” and that the administrators of the AECB are working hard on any number of fronts, however any ideas on how long we will be watching ;- )

Mark

SimmondsMills
                                      Participant

Mark,
                                        re: Details for Passive Houses – A Catalogue of Ecologically Rated Constructions
                                        This is out in march – we have ordered a copy – hopefully for review (probably in BFF).

re your post below: the answer is not yet. When, and I say when – being positive this evening – the current funding bids are secured we can fund the carbonlite programme. Part of this is to create a carbonlite learning and feedback zone where committed designers and builders etc can share experiences, details, design strategies, successes and mistakes etc etc. This web based section won't be totally open to the public, but will be those who choose to join the feedback / learning forum and who contribute positively and openly. Developing the etiquette and agreeing what rules should be adhered to will be part of the work. Not all those designing or building to the standards will want to share their experiences or solutions, and that is understood, after all these will give a company an edge over others. However we hope that enough will to create a fast track learning environment for a significant number of people to improve their commissioning, design and build skills.

We have secured additional support (if we get funding for the CarbonLite Programme) to run a day long workshop for the 'early adopters' mentioned in the survey results. This will probably be in May this year, yet to be properly announced (we are thinking about a format and may ask AECB early adopters for ideas…).

Will come back to this soon(ish)

andy

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.