Go to Forum Home Materials and products Borax woodworm treatment

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

As I understand it, Borax, sold as 'woodwork treatment' is a reasonable woodworm killer, and I have used a reasonable amount of it over the years.
      I then did a bit of research and concluded that household borax at about £2-£3 from our local hardware shop was the same as the.
      I used this liberally, sometimes with glycol sometimes with detergent.

Anyhow, I then found out that due to EU legislation, they can only sell 'borax substitute', which causes, no doubt, no harm to woodworm.
      Does anyone know where I can get good old proper borax at a reasonable cost, so that I can continue to spray as a woodworm deterrent?

Nick Grant
      Participant

Hi John

Chris Herring knows about this in detail but is on holiday. I know I used the wrong sort that is difficult to dissolve. When you say Glycol I assume you mean stuff sold for woodturners rather than antifreeze?

Nick

Nick Grant
        Participant

Dissolving problem I had was in getting a sufficiently concentrated solution. I was using it for straw bales and didn't want to use more wet than i needed to get the borax in place. Was very impressive as fire retardant.

I always used hot water to help it dissolve, but never measured how much dissolved.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.