Go to Forum Home General Board Cavity wall insulation in a listed building

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

I live in a mid-terrace 1935 house built with brick cavity walls and want to install bead cavity wall insulation. The building is Grade II listed so I need Listed Building Consent. The planning authority is objecting. Firstly to the size of the holes needed which at 22mm will take out a bit of the original brick. But the main problem now seems to be that it might cause damp problems. Is this really still an issue with modern filling systems? Is anyone doing research or surveys about this? I would be really grateful for any thoughts!

A-tec Design
        Participant

You can't really use research to put forward you argument, but you can and should use a comprehensive survey to establish the current condition of your building and the implications of cavity fill.
          Guidance has been published (I'll try to remember and check on monday at work who it's by) on what you need to look at.

From experience with a company doing cavity wall insulation on my house, I would want a more professional job, taking a bit more time to explore the problems of the existing building.

The conservation officer is right to be cautious. Go back to them and ask them specifically what they require to be put in place to allow this to move forward. Hopefully they'll be amenable.

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies. Daren – I would be very grateful if you could let me have details of the Guidance as I think this would be useful. I think your suggestions are excellent and will approach the Conservation Officer on this. Neil – it is possible to do the job from the inside, but would rather not if we don't have to!

A-tec Design
            Participant

Diana,

Sorry, I'm getting old and forgot on monday.

The book is called “The control of damp in old buildings” published by SPAB

Mark Siddall
              Participant

Diana,
                Have a look at BRE Thermal Insulation: Avoiding the Risks (BR 262). With regard to risks caused by damp, and many of ther things, this explains where full fill cavities should and should not be used.

Mark

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.