Go to Forum Home Building Design Chimney balloon

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

My client wants to refurb to exemplar standards but will not sacrifice their period open fireplaces.

Does anyone have first hand experience of aiming for very good standards of airtightness in this situation?

What is the best pressurisation test result that anyone has achieved in a building with chimney balloons?

How durable are these things?

Mark Siddall
      Participant

A friends has one. He's reasonably satisfied with the performance – though he's in a not in a house with high standards of airtightness. I'd be doubtful about whether you'd achieve outstanding levels of airtightness using these things…. though it depends upon how you define “exemplar standards.” Based upon recent experience 1ach @50pa is very unlikely. Not sure how much leakage you should expect so couldn't offer any guidance about whether or not you may achieve 3ach @50pa (could be still be a challenge even if everywhere else is tight as a gnats).

Using a balanced flue serving a wood burning stove may be the best option – at least you can control the airightness around duct and you can use an airtight stove.

Mark

Anonymous

I have fitted one in our chimney to reduce draughts and it has worked. They are not designed to block the chimney completely but to still allow ventilation through the stack. I wouldn't imagine a chimney balloon helping to attain good airtightness. Mine doesn't look durable but it's been there three years and is still inflated and working.

I think your clients are being rather inconsistent. How can an exemplar house logically use an open fire, given that it emits much more greenhouse gases than an oil boiler (I assume they're in the country) per unit of heat.

Can't a period fireplace look the same on the inside and be blocked off above, ideally with the chimney being removed aboive the tile line? There are two modern houses on the Essex/Suffolk border which have very realistic-looking fireplaces and inglenooks in the two living rooms, but if one looks carefully, these lead up to a blank panel; there are no chimneys above the first floor line.

Over the years I've helped to design a few houses where the clients insisted on chimney(s) for woodstove and/oor Aga and changed their minds after completion: “Oh we didn't know it would be this cosy without the (name of appliance).”.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.