Go to Forum Home Materials and products foam glass costs and suppliers

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi! I've been trying to find cost effective foamglass here in the UK and I've been quoted List price for 100mm £62.99/SqM supply only.Don't think that will be going in in the quantities used in Europe for PH detailing unless anyone has other experience? Thanks for any comments.

Anonymous

Hi Kimi,

Might be able to help there – drop me an email on john.cave@ehsmith.co.uk with location and quantity and I'll see what we can get. Pitsburgh Corning are very strict on pricing and charge seperately for all deliveries, special requirements etc. Having said that, we are major customers of one of their distribution partners so we should be able to get you some decent discounts.

Best regards

John

Nick Grant
          Participant

Kirsty

I asked John to look into this and post on forum so don't take it as a random sales pitch!

This certainly seemed to be material of the month on the CEPH Designer course.

Nick

Tom Foster
            Participant

Why?

I see it's also used for EWI on the Cavendish Avenue, Cabmbridge house in the new Winter 09 Green Building mag.

Nick Grant
              Participant

Tom and John

I think, from previous conversations, that Kirsty is asking about foam glass gravel for use under a ground bearing slab. Much cheaper than foam glass batts and in Germany, competitive with EPS.

Agree seems odd to use solid foam glass as EWI unless trying to get rid of cash as quick as possible.

Mark Siddall
                Participant

Tom,
                  Why, what? Why interest in Foamglass on the course? Why foamglass? What?

Mark

Tom Foster
                  Participant

Why 'seemed to be material of the month on the CEPH Designer course'? – but don't worry, Nick removed my cause for query, and brought a v interesting material to my attention.

Anonymous

Will report back when I have heard from Germany

This is why I prefer aerated concrete which has a compressive strength sufficient to support quite a heavy building.

Also FWIW cellular glass (foamglass is a tradename) can absorb water and underground it can be damaged by vermin as proved by a long-running case in Belgium. But the greenwash is impressive.

D

Nick Grant
                      Participant

David

The German architect who were keen on it said there was no vermin problem with aggregate. Is aerated concrete available as aggregate to use in this way, ie as insulation under a reinforced slab?

Nick

Mark Siddall
                        Participant

Aerarated conc is susceptible to absorbing moisture also – overcoming capillary action is the issue. Would large enough granulated pieces help address this?

Here's an example of the foamglass aggregate from Hasopor (George from Architype first brought this to my attention) http://www.hasopor.com/

Mark

Mark

Yes aerated concrete does absorb moisture. Because of this tendency, the mfcrs. can give you a separate conductivity for use outside the DPM, versus for use inside it. One product has figures of 0.11 and 0.19 W/mK respectively.

For celular glass, I have yet to see two separate figures quoted, although the “battle in Belgium” may lead PC to start quoting two.

BTW I wouldn't expect there to be much wildlife below the centre of a floor but the authorities which have warned of this risk to insulation such as XPS have proof that vermin can cause damage e.g. to the outside of basement walls 750 mm below ground.

Cheers

David.

David

Do you have any further info on the Belgium case?

Viewing 12 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.