Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am going to replace my electric oven (which is well past its sell by date) with a gas one. I don't think gas ovens are energy rated yet, although clearly they must vary a lot according to how well insulated they are. (Our old electric oven is so leaky it has cooked its own control knobs). Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer or product? This will be 'built in' to the front of a standard 600mm kitchen unit, with the (separate) gas hobs over it.

Peter Smithdale

SimmondsMills
      Participant

What are the issues of gas hobs and using MVHR to extract via cooker hoods…is this straightforward to do in UK wrt industry guidelines, regs etc..?

My experience is that MV manufacturers resist it – too much of a maintenance risk of gunk in the ducting.

SimmondsMills
        Participant

re gunk from cooking activities, is this related to cookers generally (electric and gas) or particlarly gas?

On further investigation issue seems only that adequate flows of supply and extract air via the MVHR system must be calculated and posibly demonstrated to satisfy buildign contol. There should be no need to compromise the MVHR system etc by having additional fresh air supply independent of the MVHR system for gas cooking – as I currently understand it. The kitchen designer who 'warned me' seems to be suggesting problems where there are none.

Will come back to this as it becomes clearer.

would welcome feedback from MVHR users who have experience of cleaning filters and other similar issues – I am new to MVHR!

Re “gunk” from gas or LPG cookers, there is somewhat more than from electric, *although* the food itself always gives off a lot of debris including particulates and tars if it's roasted or baked. However, the obvious solution to me has always seemed to be to develop further the balanced-flue gas cooker used in the Canadian Advanced Houses in 1992-93. About 80% of these homes had gas cooking; they had many features associated wih typical Passive House/Gold Standard construction. It developed teething problems, and hence wasn't commercially launched, but a working model would look much like an electric halogen hob – probably with slightly faster control, although not as instant on-off as a gas flame.

Anyone know anyone who fancies doing some product development? I know the Canadian experts who worked on the Advanced Houses quite well and could obtain further information if pressed.

Having said all that, a minority of German Passive Houses have gas or LPG cooking and all the air – grease and all – is extracted via the main MVHR system using a suitable filter – there is one but I've forgotten the Euro-designation.

David

Viewing 4 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.