Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Peter Bayer
      Participant

I have an oak framed roof which I would prefer to leave exposed ,hence I am looking at
        over rafter insulation but as the rafters are somewhat banana shaped in both planes
        I need a solution that will accommodate this less than ideal base.The materials I have
        found so far are too rigid or require too great a thickness .Am I going to have to in effect construct a new roof structure over the top?
        Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Hi
          on page 40 of green building magazine volume17/2 theres a article covering a similar problem , they used T&G wood fibreboard
          I think this might be the product

http://www.natural-building.co.uk/ir.htm

Peter Bayer
          Participant

Jim
            thanks I'll have a look when I get hold of a copy!
            Peter
            The exposed rafters are an aesthetic choice not an economy!I am trying to retain the
            period features and achieve modern performance ,what I hope to avoid is the soulless
            box inside an old building (plasterboard finishes etc)I know I'm making life difficult for
            myself but if the period housing stock of this country is to be brought up to scratch a way of reconciling these requirements will have to be found.

bill butcher
            Participant

I think you are right Peter.

It is easier to replace the rafters to get a flat working surface and allows the installation of a continuous vapour barrier over the purlins.

This gives choice for insulation methods.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.