Go to Forum Home Building Refurbishment and Retrofit Internal wall insulation

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

I have a small room with a solid wall that I need to insulate. EWI is out because the building is in a conservation area and I can afford to loose only a small amount of internal space.

I am therefore looking for a thin, breathable product that can be decorated onto directly.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Eco Design
        Participant

David

Always a difficult one. A relatively thin insulation board that gives you reasonable resistance & is vapour permeable is the key. Be prepared to loose 65mm off the internal room. You could try Second Nature's EdenBloc (a recycled wool carpet insulation board) that can be backed onto plasterboard for a thin plaster finish. It really needs a level surface so if the existing wall in undulating, a dubbing out coat of render/plaster maybe needed. The board can be mechanically fixed to the wall (could use thermally broken fixings).

We've used this on a refurbishment of a whole house upgrade & it was good to work with, environment friendly, recycled materials but above all gave us the levels of insulation we were looking for along with true vapour permeability (as a combination of materials & techniques). Its not cheap but as a one product solution (plus finishes) it was cost effective for us. Other products lacked the combination of vapour permeability & high termal value.

Anonymous

Thanks for that.

I have contacted Eden to learn more about the product. To be honest I have been convinced by NBT and BackToEarth's uses of vapour control layers in their systems, but it seems like the Edenbloc product is completely vapour open. Did you have any thoughts on using VCL's as part of natural insulation systems when used to dry line solid wall?

Eco Design
            Participant

We've used NBT's Pavatherm & Diffutherm as external insulation (with their lime render system), where thickness has not been an issue. We used VCLs as part of NBTs system & all worked well. We got down to a U value of 0.2 with 160mm for wood fibre board when combined with the existing structure.

We used EdenBloc on a different scheme recently, as an internal insulation in a timber framed building with external masonry leaf, so a little different to your situation. However, the principle is the same. EdenBloc gives a thinner construction layer for similar U values, which could be important when insulation is applied internally.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.