Go to Forum Home Building Services Kitchen extractor fans

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

I was just reading Green Building magazine and noticed the comments by a couple of people in the living with passivhaus article that during the summer they missed having an extractor fan in the kitchen.

So especially to them, what if anything would you do differently? And what exactly is the problem – recirculating cooker hood not up to the job, or smells blown around an open plan house or what?

And in general, what do people think is best practice for this detail?

Chris Brookman
        Participant

Hi Dave

Our's is an expensive smeg hood and to be fair, it is rubbish at extracting smells. It removes grease from the air well so is better than nothing but for smells we put our ventilation on boost and they are mostly gone in 30 mins to an hour. Fish and curry are the worst as they hang around for ages.

Our central room is open plan and we have 2 supply ducts on one side and 3 extract ducts on the other but this still does not keep the smells in the kitchen area. I would suggest that if you want to keep smells away have a supply and an extract in the same room (opposite sides and extract near cooking area) and have a room that you can close up.

Anonymous

We have open plan kitchen / dining and living and clearly cooking smells do permeate these areas. We have a recirculator with charcoal filters and they appear to do a modest job of removing odours. Interestingly, our stairs lead off the kitchen but cooking odours aren't really an issue up there. I wouldnt say odours were ever an issue for us, so I suspect that this might be a very personal issue.

Anonymous

Thanks guys. Our kitchen will have double doors to close it off from the dining area and the rest of the house if necessary. And what cooking smells there are are usually appetising. So I'm hopeful we'll be OK with a recirculating hood plus boost on the MVHR if necessary.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.