Welcome to the AECB Forums Landscape/habitat/ecology Mad ideas for saving the world – increase our albedo

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    ceoadmin
    Keymaster

“a 'stab' at world peace” – nice metaphor, nick.
    see you at the conference.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rather than burying the charcoal the benefit could be much greater if fed to cows and vegetarians….

Have you suggested this to Mrs Grant? Dunno about world peace but I can't see this enhancing domestic peace chez Grant.

Nick Grant

Didn't have anyone in mind!

ceoadmin
    Keymaster

Glad to see from the lack of postings here that every one is engaged in reducing emissions – and not relying on mad ideas to save the world…or are they?!

Or is it simply a mad idea that we can save the world?

David Olivier
    Participant

The consensus at a recent conference of energy experts at Claverton – see energyresearchgroup.eu – was that we'll need even more measures than we're suggesting here, as the world's climate is getting really out of hand. But insulating and draughtproofing our buildings would be a start.

D.

ceoadmin
    Keymaster

Of course its mad that we can save our world (as it is).

It might be like passengers 'managing' a train crash (Forget the driver helping – given the current lack of suitable leadership – he just seems to speed up). I can't work out whether it is the rear or middle carriages that are the safest in a crash, but I do know that the poor s*$ds hanging on the outside are in trouble.

There may be problems with this metaphor.

There is money to be made in advising the super rich which are the 'safest carriages' to ride in – I think James Lovelock complains of being asked after lectures where best to build that (fortified) 'retirement' home.

ceoadmin
    Keymaster
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Or is it simply a mad idea that we can save the world?

As a species we've lived through major climate upheavals before at a time when we had very little of the technical knowledge that we do now, I can't see how we'll die out, major population reduction? Yeah, I reckon, but if we really are doomed our world will survive just fine, it'll just be doing so without us.

ceoadmin
    Keymaster

About time we had some more mad ideas…..

David Olivier
    Participant

The Inst of Mech Engineers is now saying that we need to construct artificial trees, although for reasons that I don't understand it appears that a possibly more favourable activity such as seeding the oceans with small amounts of iron is still “off”. So I guess that mad ideas are now mainstream.

David

Nick Grant

Yes, when I heard that I thought, another case of you heard it first on the AECB forum! Thing is we we always knew they were mad ideas.

ceoadmin
    Keymaster

Nothing new here, but lets keep this thread alive…
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7921619.stm

ceoadmin
    Keymaster

I like this (full doc attached) :
    (so er, does it mean we have to turn off our industrial hairdryers?..or did I get that wrong….)

“One sure bet is that this decade will be the warmest in history. Yes, some scientists assert that there is decadal variability and the next decade or two could be cooler. How do we know they are wrong? Because, as we show in reference 4, the planet is now out of balance by about ¾ of a watt per square meter of Earth's surface averaged over the solar cycle. It may not sound like much, but that is a lot of energy (in an interesting unit suggested in a colleague's paper, Sarah Purkey and Greg Johnson?), the ¾ W/m2 corresponds, assuming a global populations of 7 billion, to every man, woman, and child on the planet running simultaneously 40 industrial strength 1400 watt hair dryers 24 hours a day 365 days a year). This energy is enough to cause the ocean to slowly warm and ice to melt all over the planet……”

ceoadmin
    Keymaster

Replying to myself – not a good sign…..

If we choose the right image for ideas one can make an impact: thought the hairdryer image was too perjorative wrt women – so how about 20 of these (attached) left turned on for each person on the planet to illustrate Hansen's paper?

I can see a 'nice' AECB postcard developing here – any more suggestions for 'best bit of kit' to demonstrate continuously burning 1.4 kw for every child, woman, man on the planet?

Postcard = image of person + 1.4kw kit x 40 no.

we could consider a polar bear taking its coat off….?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.