Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Ben Gorman
      Participant

Here is Question 1, along with my thoughts about how to answer it. I don’t know whether or not I have the correct answer. I would be really interested in your comments.

****BACKGROUND INFO****

Chimney Stack
        The chimney stack is in a relatively poor condition. There are large areas of salts on the face of the chimney breast in the attic space and evidence of water ingress on the first floor chimney breast near the ceiling. It has been decided to erect scaffolding to access the chimney stack.

**** QUIZ QUESTION ****

Quiz question 1
        What typically contributes to water ingress into a building via a traditional chimney stack in areas a, b and c in the diagram?
        1. Cracked chimney pots
        2. Missing, loose or cracked flaunching (sloping sand and cement render around
        chimney pots)
        3. Perished or missing pointing to chimney stack brickwork
        4. Missing, slipped or perished stepped lead flashings or soakers
        5. A chimney pot without a cowl

**** MY THOUGHTS ****

I think all of these could contribute to water ingress. Maybe 1 slightly less so but if there was a cowl and the chimney pot was cracked it might let more water through than the cowl was designed to stop.

Tim Gilbert
        Participant

Hi Ben,

I’m inclined to agree with you but then I submitted my answers and failed miserably, so obviously I could have got this completely wrong.

Tim

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.