Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ben Gorman
      Participant

Here is Question 2, along with my thoughts about how to answer it. I don’t know whether or not I have the correct answer. I would be really interested in your comments.

Also, following Bill’s tutorial, I decided to take a look around my own home to see if there are any issues. I think I’ve found some issues with the guttering, and I’ve made a PDF – see the link below. Any comments about the issues are welcome.

Guttering PDF

****QUIZ QUESTION BACKGROUND INFO****

Rainwater System
        The original cast iron rainwater gutter and downpipes have been replaced with budget UPVC plastic. The original cast iron gutter rafter brackets have been removed when the roof covering was renewed. The plastic guttering brackets have been screwed to the original timber fascia using steel wood screws.

**** QUIZ QUESTION ****

Quiz question 2
        Identify detrimental effects of broken downpipes (area d) and misaligned gutters (area e)?
        1. Washed out pointing to brickwork
        2. A wet/damp wall behind insulation leading to mould growth
        3. Not an urgent issue as brickwork will dry out when not raining
        4. Rot in timber fascias, soffits and rafter ends

**** MY THOUGHTS ****

1 and 4 seem reasonable. I think 2 could be too because the brick work might soak up the water and it could get through to any insulation in the cavity.

Tim Gilbert
        Participant

Hi Ben

Yes, you need to contact the service company for your block. There are definitely problems where you identified.

Regarding the homework question I went for 2 and 4. Can water wash out pointing? I would imagine that water behind it, via the porous bricks, could lead to pointing being pushed out by frost.

Tim

Ben Gorman
          Participant

Hi Tim

Thanks for your response. I’m still convinced on 1. I think over time the pointing could be washed out. Limestone pavements, such as Malham Cove and many other geographical features are formed my water erosion, but it does require a lot of time.

Tim Gilbert
            Participant

Hi Ben,

I see your point. Given enough time and no tectonics water would eventually give us a smooth spherical world covered by water. The Welsh mountains were once as high as the Andes. Mortar might erode slightly quicker.

Tim

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.