Go to Forum Home Materials and products new project – PHAROS – open source materials selection method

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      SimmondsMills
      Participant
        Anonymous

Very interesting, should the AECB be talking to them at any level? It'll be good if it isn't a purely US centric resource.

SimmondsMills
          Participant

This is a relevant discussion of a sustainable design standard within which Pharos sits: https://aecb.net/forum/index.php?topic=713.new#new

Mark Siddall
            Participant

PHAROS looks to be very similar to the Arups SPeAR Assessment
              http://www.arup.com/environment/feature.cfm?pageid=1685
              Not that that is a bad thing.
              In terms of being communication tool I've always thought this type of graphic approach is very digestible, and as Arup point out it can be used to assess any multitude of sins not just buildings. It will be interesting to how it develops.

Mark

SimmondsMills
              Participant

Thanks Mark,
                I had forgotten about this. Is it widely used in UK outside Arups?

Mark Siddall
                Participant

SPeaR is Arups own assessment method i.e. its a monopoly. If you pay the fee they undertake a study anywhere. If PHAROS is more of a public domain version of then SPear then I think a powerful tool has been unleashed. Having said that Pharos will only gain the air of credibility if it has a good quality assurance system and is appropriately licensed.

It will be interesting to see how it develops. Most of the Eco-labling systems have failed in the past, perhaps the time is right for this.

Mark

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.