Go to Forum Home General Board Non-toxic (alternatives to) sanitary silicone?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I live in a conventional flat but am trying to find the least damaging ways to seal a bathtub to a tiled (over screed) wall and a ceramic sink to a wooden worktop. I have been advised that I need to use sanitary silicone in the bathroom to avoid rapid mould build-up (and I have Webbgrip Solvent Free Gap Filling Adhesive for the kitchen, which gets less water), but on checking out the MSDS's for a fair few of them, they seem to usually be at least ecotoxic for aquatic organisms, and often highly toxic for both human health and the environment. A lady from Geocel informed me that it wasn't possible to develop a 'green' version, whilst someone I know in the building trade suggested that a low modulus sanitary silicone would at least be better.

So my question is this: does anyone know if there is there a non-toxic sanitary silicone, or at least the least toxic one out there? Are there better alternatives for this kind of application, other non-toxic sealants that would be appropriate, or something other than a sealant altogether? Possibly the use of plaster? How do green- and eco-builders deal with water/plumbing and the need for watertight seals?

I'll be really grateful for any advice, thanks

Cyrille.

Anonymous

So my question is this: does anyone know if there is there a non-toxic sanitary silicone, or at least the least toxic one out there?

What is your concern about the toxicity? Presumably you are worried about something being poisoned, but what?

The idea of sanitary silicone, apart from sealing against water, is that it prevents the growth of things like mould, which would otherwise tend to grow in the damp environment where a waterproof seal is used. So it's not surprising that it has a degree of toxicity because of the fungicide that it contains. But I think it's rather unlikely that fish or any other aquatic organisms of note will come into contact with it above your bath or sink.

Food safe silicone or aquarium silicone are non-toxic I think, but you will find yourself having to clean them continuously to remove mould growth. And bleach is toxic.

Whatever you choose to use needs to be waterproof and flexible in the long term. Plaster has neither of those qualities. The material also needs to be adhesive. If you want to find an alternative, you could perhaps investigate marine sealants based on other materials, but I don't know anything about their suitability or toxicity.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.