Go to Forum Home Building Simulation Open Studio Plugin for Sketchup

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Nick Grant
      Participant

I have downloaded and installed Openstudio Sketchup Plugin and Energy Plus for Mac OS X but can't find any tutorials on Open Studio, both free and open source.

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/openstudio.cfm

Anyone got any experience with this?

Must say I'm a bit sceptical but thought it might have some use. probably a major distraction but interested to hear what others think and ideally get a link to a getting started tutorial.

Nick

Tom Foster
        Participant

“EnergyPlus must be installed on your computer for full access to all of the plugin functionality”
          “expertise in using EnergyPlus at the text level is highly recommended for performing successful and accurate simulations”

Do these stipulations really rule out use of this plugins for ordinary mortals?

How does this compare with IES's free one?

Nick Grant
          Participant

Having recently spent a couple of weeks among serious energy modellers I am more confident about my reservations about dynamic energy models in general. I did think this might be useful for some specific and simplified problems but life is too short.

What would be useful is a sketchup plug in to calculate heating season shading factors from non uniform shading objects such as single buildings, trees and walls acting as reveals. Cn then use this is simpler degree day models.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.