Welcome to the AECB Forums Building Design Passivhaus Design Question

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm afraid I will have to give up on this as no matter what info/data I put forward people with initials after their name always seem to disagree with hard fact. What I have found here in the UK is that you've recently gone from having no insulation in your reg's to trying teaching the world how to build efficiently, with no data to back it up but an awful lot of extraordinary misses on design and actual performance.

I will ask again of anyone, show me a system that can outperform an icf and I will switch.

Tom Foster
    Participant

Sounds like you have something to prove – that you're more right. That makes you turn down the offer of an interesting discussion that could bring understanding. You said '23hrs' as if it's an important virtue – I'd like to know how that's a good number. Any idea?

David Olivier
    Participant

North America has differences from northern Europe. Many well-known cities in the NE USA are 10-15 degrees nearer the equator than English cities. Blue skies are more common in winter than they are in N W Europe.

This winter insolation makes a huge difference to the heat consumption for a given set of U-values, air leakage and for a given level of thermal capacity (assuming south-facing glazing).

Also the difference in energy performance between heavy and light construction increases (heavy consumes less) as one moves nearer the equator and/or to a climate with more moderate outside temperatures. Louisville, Ky. has a mean annual temperature of 14.6 degC it seems. Southern England averages about 9.5 degC. Big difference.

I don't think the UK has ever tried to teach the rest of the world to build well. That would be rash, given where Canada or Sweden had got to by 40 years ago.

I too find the UK treatment of thermal mass simplistic. I'm writing a book which may help rectify this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The BRE may disagree with you as I know from the “discussions” I've had with some of them. My point has always been about performance and data as the examples I posted show.

Tom Foster
    Participant

treatment of thermal mass … I'm writing a book which may help rectify this.

I'll look forward to that!

North America has differences from northern Europe. Many well-known cities in the NE USA are 10-15 degrees nearer the equator than English cities. Blue skies are more common in winter than they are in N W Europe.

According to WUFI data, Seattle (cold year) seems to be not unlike Oostende, which in turn is a slightly tough climate applicable to southern England. Main difference is Seattle's wind is from SSE, Oostende's from SW.

Southern Scandinavian weather may similarly do for N Britain.

No other European or US/Canadian weather (e.g. not Vancouver) in WUFI comes close. I note this because meanie UK and Irish met offices won't release 'free' climate data for issue with WUFI, unlike all of Europe, US, Canada, and rest of world.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.