Go to Forum Home Building Refurbishment and Retrofit Passivhaus principles applied to refurbishment: Pass-Net webinair

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      SimmondsMills
      Participant

This is the place to post your questions ready for the forthcoming Pass-Net webinair.

After viewing the virtual tour videos on the AECB website, please post any questions you would like answered on this thread, and the panel will answer as many of them as possible during the live webinair event.

Please keep an eye on the AECB website for the videos (expected to be ready for viewing from 30th July) and the date of the webinair (hopefully in the second week in September).

KATE DE SELINCOURT
        Participant

You can now view the videos at http://www.carbonlite.org.uk/carbonlite/webevents.php. Go and have a look! (click an extra time to get the bigger YouTube view)

Mark Siddall
          Participant

Watched the webinar last night. Great! Really enjoyed the four parts. Lets hope that it is the first of many.

Mark

Philip Jordan
            Participant

I'm very glad that such attention is being paid to existing buildings/homes, but
              having worked for decades on public/social housing, I have to say that perhaps
              the acid test isn't what the professionals think, or what the occupants do, but
              will/are those in charge committed & firm in their committment & resourcing:

with the current coalition cuts committment, will we see any true realisation of
              passive principles in any public/social housing (or other public building)?

Jerry Evans
              Participant

Great to see these projects. On both the terraced house and the community centre there was a combination of external and internal insulation. It would be interesting to know how the designers dealt with this potentially trick interface to avoid cold bridging.

The videos were very informative and useful, but I'm concerned that the ideas will get out into the wild! especially for the bulk of the housing stock. Internal insulation will reduce the overall size of rooms, some of which can be small(ish) already, and external insulation is very difficult to achieve; front elevations, especially in streets, cannot easily be altered and lots of rear elevations to terraced houses usually, in my experience, have limited space between reveals and walls.

A-tec Design
                Participant

As others before have commented, I found the videos very interesting. It would be nice to have some practical demonstrations/drawings of how some of the cold bridging was overcome.
                  It would be interesting to get some idea on costs to achieve this against current building regs standard. I realise that it is on a case by case basis, but as there are hundreds of thousands of terrace homes throughout the country, I wonder whether in fact the % increase is not significant.

KATE DE SELINCOURT
                  Participant

Bit of advance notice – we expect the webinar to be held on September 17th, probably in the afternoon. Watch this board for confirmation.

KATE DE SELINCOURT
                    Participant

Sorry – but owing to technical problems we have had to postpone this event till October. All members will receive a mailing once we are able to confirm the new date.

In the meantime, don't miss the videos (see above for link) – they're getting great reviews.

WEBINAR ON OCTOBER 8TH AT 2.30 PM. MORE INFO COMING SOON.

Robert Rickey
                      Participant

I agree that the details are highly valuable. My first question to all of the designer is: what would you do if your budget were cut in half? Second, in this era of austerity, what is the most likely funding mechanism for the wholesale upgrading of housing? Should we join together in lobbying for government support for this essential work?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.