Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mark Siddall
    Participant

It won't suprise you to see which EU country has no examples in the Best Practice Section.

http://www.energieinstitut.at/Retrofit/?to=0&forward=S_19&id=2f7ea24da6318ff2e3daa7002bbdaf8a&dmy=4fa4f1854b6a146862caf26689a38e7e

Mark

Nick Grant
    Participant

Why at the Passivhaus conference did the audience giggle when it was announced that all new UK buildings would be zero carbon by 2016? 🙂

SimmondsMills
    Participant

We are aiming to build a PH extension and start the PH refurbishment of our own home in Hereford in July this year. Here are the planning application drawings (we are waiting on a decision after a positive meeting with the planning officer). The detail is slowly being worked up….

SimmondsMills
    Participant

Today we received planning permission for this project after a positive response from the planning committee. Have had it modeled with PHPP…will post results in due course.

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK I was impressed by these pictures and today I read the Carbonlite standard saying that refurb to passivhaus is established technology. Previously, I'd assumed a new build was necessary.

Could somebody kindly point me to the established wisdom?

Thanks, Dave

SimmondsMills
    Participant

Experience on refurb to near Passivhaus levels for whole building performance (hard to reach, or not worth reaching, the new build target on existing buildings) exists mainly abroad of course, and on this project we have simply applied the principles underlying CarbonLite, used PHPP to model the house -and make design decisions, and drawn on general advanced practice where ever we can find it – USA, Canada,Austria and Germany etc. PHI staff have given a few useful pointers, but are terribly busy.

Apply basic PH/CarbonLite principles first, use PHPP to make design decisions and model results, and aim as close to the new build targets as possible.

This will be written up as a full case study, and I will post for example air pressure test results as soon as carried out. Otherwise is an experiment at present, rather than demonstrating established wisdom.

Personally I would like to see a Silver standard refurb carried out on a house – but as a full set of integrated measures in line with CLP guidance and using PHPP.

Anyone doing this?

More pictures when I can.

SimmondsMills
    Participant

Great! Are you going to have a go using PHPP to do design modelling?

SimmondsMills
    Participant

There is some more on my project here:
    http://simmondsmills.com/home_page.php?id=15
    and pictures of work in progress:
    http://simmondsmills.com/project.php?id=31

SimmondsMills
    Participant

UPDATED POST on 25 Feb 09

Green Building Magazine article on project below. Very good Romanian workers fitting 250mm neopor type EPS insulation to the house and extension this week. Will try to upload new photos on simmonds.mills website soon! Unfortunately potential Ecobuild talk slot on this project seems to have disappeared unaccountably. Still, Mark Siddall will be showing a few pictures in his Ecobuild slot.

I have amended the article and uploaded it again (on 25 Feb 09) – having realised that the the Primary Energy Limit was meant to read as 78 not 120 kWh/m2.yr

I have to say the 'magic heat effect' (lots of insulation, very few small radiators..lovely warm rooms) has now kicked in (all insulations complete), so on final airtightness measures, then air pressure test maybe next week.

Mark Siddall
    Participant

It is worth noting that this change from 120 kWh/m2.a to 78 kWh/m2.a will also mean that, according to CLP Standards, the CO2 emissions will fall from 22 kg/m2.a to 15 kg/m2.a

Mark

SimmondsMills
    Participant

Do check out p20, 21 etc here (https://www.aecb.net/PDFs/carbonlite/AECB_VOL3_EnergyStandard_V6FINAL.pdf) for further clarification of Primary Energy Demand.

SimmondsMills
    Participant

Our first pressure test, before the extension wall were plastered came in at 1.56. We found a number of small leaks in areas of membrane, and also noted how much air seemed to be coming in through the mortar joints (mainly perpends) of the concrete blockwork extension walls. The walls are now being plastered and we still hope to get to the 'magic' CarbonLite target of 0.75. The full air test report will be uploaded when ready. Generally no 'large' leaks were identified so after plastering any remaining leaks are likely to be associated with multitudinous 'micro' leaks through brickwork assumed in the strategy to be airtight (e.g., see article describing basement/ground floor/wall details). Even at 1.56 perfectly adequate for proper functioning of the MVHR. More soon…

and yes, it would be nice to get the job finished! 3 weeks?…

SimmondsMills
    Participant

You can see more info on where this at at http://www.simmondsmills.com (projects section). Air pressure test final = 0.97 m3/m2hr@50 Pa. I will add here for those of you who don't want to go to another website the AECB conference presentation on the project. On the website, I have put up a thermography report…with lots of nice infra red images….mmmm, lovely.

Oh, I have to say that the house is very very nice to be in…and I am thinking here about the thermal environment, the air quality – all those things you read about in the Passivhaus documentation: it's fascinating to be in a Passivhaus Refurb, and to 'feel it'!

The wild meadow flower roof is beautiful too…it's not all about energy you know…

SimmondsMills
    Participant

As some may know AECB has been advising the TSB on its retrofit for the Future Competition. Some of the presentations AECB gave are here, and this link is direct to the presentation I did on our refurbishment project. The powerpoint slides are accompanied by audio commentary of the speakers. http://retrofitforthefuture.ning.com/video/andy-simmonds-case-study-in

My presentation is missing a slide which may be useful, here is the missing slide.

Robert Rickey
    Participant

We have just found our house and I want to achieve the best performance possible. I am new to AECB and Passivhaus, but I will get the PHPP soon. Setting the target is important, so can you recap the current best practice thinking for refurb? We will be adding a first floor studio to the garage as well, which could be Carbonlite Gold as it will be mostly new build.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.