Go to Forum Home Building Services Potty Parity and Squatters Rights

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Nick Grant
      Participant

Has anyone dared move away from the usual UK spec' of 'equal' facilities for men and women's toilets to allow for the fact that the throughput in mens toilets (with urinals) is significantly faster.

My partner regularly rants about the long queues outside the women's.

In US there have been Bills and legal action taken, (Google 'Potty Parity' as a start). I have not come accross a UK project where the issue has been faced although we mention it when we can.

UK examples or opinions please.

Anonymous

Perhaps it's only my partner who thinks its an issue???

Definitely not, it's a complete and total lunacy in public space design that allocates the same space to Ladies as Gents, I've never been able to understand it. Anyone who's been shopping with a girlfriend/wife will know that they have to queue to go to the bogs even in major department stores.

Anonymous

Thank heavens for that, can't believe it's going to need legislation though.

Nick Grant
            Participant

Thanks Michelle

Your response was worth the wait, I hope BS 6465-1: 2006 was

Do you have a summary of the potty parity bit for non architects who are curious but won't be shelling out £112?

Nick

Nick Grant
              Participant

I have just had a look at the BS as I am involved with a public loo design in Cumbria, very timely.

Applying the formula in annex B for an imaginary coach party of 50 male and 50 female all needing the loo in a 10 minute time period I get:

1 male WC and 2 urinals and 8, female WCs (actually 7.5)

The ratio comes from women needing 1.5 minutes and men 0.6.

Interesting to see how this pans out. For some reason their worked example assumes more men with a greater percentage needing the loo (??). Makes for a less dramatic result.

Nick

Andy Mitchell
                Participant

Perhaps it allows for prostate problems?

Anonymous

Perhaps it allows for prostate problems?

Or beer related ones?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.