Go to Forum Home Materials and products PV’s on construction sites

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I am researching into the idea of using either stand alone or grid connected PV modules on a construction site. The idea is that they could potentially be used to generate electricty for lighting, or generate the electricity requirements for temporary offices and/or toilets. I was wandering if anyone knew if such an idea has been investigated previously; whether PVs have already been used on a construction site; or whether you think it wouldn't work for practical/economic reasons.

Paticular areas that I am concerned about include: increased maintenance costs due to dust from construction site, the fragility of PV modules, how much shading is likely to reduce efficiency, whether planning permission is required, and of course the payback periods for both money and carbon emissions from manufacturing (I have heard extremely varied figures regarding this last point).

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Nick Grant
        Participant

Dorte

Why??

We built our house with only PV and small wind turbine (now pleased to have mains). If you had to do it because of remote site then you would need to get good lights and ban halogen site lights (so cheap!). Air compressors also tricky and some electronic power tools don't like some inverters. Generator likeley to be running a lot of the time.

If you just want to save energy there must be far better ways.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.