Go to Forum Home Building Refurbishment and Retrofit Regency house retrofit – cellar treatment?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

This may have been covered elsewhere, but the search function doesn't seem to be working and I don't have time to read through all posts!

I'm designing/proj managing the retrofit of a Grade II listed Regency terraced house in Shrewsbury.

The top floor external walls will be pavadentroed, the lower floors the same (assuming we can convince the conservation officer that the cornice aesthetic/room proportions won't be compromised), and in the bathrooms we're thinking of using diathonite, because I think it'll better cope with the moisture and you can tile straight onto it.

My query regards the cellar – I've ripped up the false floor, which had been fitted on top of a plastic sheet, and similarly ripped out dry lining that had been installed on top of plastic sheeting. the walls/floor under were pretty damp and mouldy but are drying nicely (although we've not had much rain of late).

The question is how to best treat the cellar walls and floor now? There are no issues with regard the listing, the cellar is in a state and anything will be an improvement. I'm aware I need to somehow get better ventilation down there – I'm thinking about creating a good cross-vent between old coal hole and chimney. Which begs another question – does anyone know of any reason why a vent can't share the same chimney with a gas boiler flue? Assuming there's enough space of course..

Thanks in advance

James Smith

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.