Go to Forum Home Building Simulation Silver Standard Calculation Tools and Software

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Siddall
      Participant

If the PHPP is recommended to develop a design to the Gold standard what software package is recommended for developing designs to the Silver standard?

(I assume that SAP will not be up to the job, am I right or wrong?)

Paul Marriot, part time contributor to the Public/General Notice Board, has remarked that the Hot2000 software is used for the R2000 standard. Does Canada use the metric or imperial system? If metric, would this be suited to use in the UK?

Just wondering.

Mark

SAP does omit certain physical phenomena; e.g., the evaporation of water and the heating of cold water to 20degC en route through the building. Just this latent heat and sensible heat accounts for a significant heat demand in a normal UK house or office. Even in an airtight building with MVHR, it can't all be recovered, although most can.

I looked at HOT-2000 which they've had in use for 30 yrs (HOTCAN earlier) but wasn't immediately optimstic that it could be made usable for UK buildings (or dwellings).

David.

Mark Siddall
        Participant

So what software would be recommended? Should the PHPP be used for designing to the Silver standard also?

Mark

Yes, perfectly suitable

David

Mark Siddall
          Participant

David,
            Does the PHPP calculate the behavior of thermal mass, or is it more of a steady state model?

In some ways this ties into my other posting on 'simulation software for passive solar.' https://aecb.net/forum/index.php?topic=701.0

Mark

It's calibrated to the results of lots of dynamic thermal simulations.

David.

Viewing 5 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.