Go to Forum Home Materials and products SIPS – extension pros & cons? longevity? price?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Unfortunately the search engine's not working at the mo on the AECB site, because I'm sure this question's been asked before…

I've known about SIPS for quite a while and somehow ignored them, but it's slowly dawned on me that maybe I'm missing a trick here. I'm trying to get my single skinned 1925 house up to a reasonable level of thermal efficiency. My plan for getting there involves insulating the floors, building a porch, installing MHRV, EWI the walls and doing an extension with south facing windows – in roughly that order.

It occured to me that if I did the porch in SIPS, I wouldn't have to worry about EWIing it to avoid thermal bridging – and the walls might be thinner to achieve the same u value, giving me more space. The same argument applies to the extension, especially as I'd like to have the upstairs roof open to..well, there wouldn't be rafters, I suppose, but I don't know the technical term. As I understand it, SIPS construction is more airtight too, which would fit with mhvr and just generally keeping the heating costs down.

However, having completely ignored sips previously, I don't know what the cons are. I saw a video on a sips manufacturer's site that rather put me off just because the sips looked so flimsy compared to bricks and mortar, but I don't know if that's just prejudice? I also wondered about marrying masonery with a different material? I also wondered about proven longevity? Someone also wondered how the issue of damp is addressed in these systems?

I'd really appreciate some advice & comments on this as I don't think it's wise to take the manufacturers word for it!

thanks,

Tania

Anonymous

Have you considered icf? Thermal Mass, low thermal bridging, low air permeability, won't support mold, high fire and element resistance, high sound attenuation, longevity, simplicity

Anonymous

I did actually. I'm still mulling it over, but I was of the impression that icf Walls would have to be substantially thicker to achieve a similar u value & I dont have much space..:-(

Anonymous

U values are just numbers and do not reflect the true value as to how a wall performs. We have built the first Net Zero/Zero Carbon school in the USA with a wall u-value of 0.24 and this is backed up with ACTUAL running data as the Americans have a nice saying “In God we trust, all others bring data”. I have documented homes in Ireland that have values of 0.24/walls, 0.28/floor, 0.16/roof with a total energy use of 35.78 kwh/m2/yr. The 0.24 wall with plasterboard inside and a render outside will have a width of approx 306mm and a 0.25 wall approx 255mm so yes, an icf does have that one disadvantage.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.