Welcome to the AECB Forums Building Services Solar control

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

am planning to use external roller blinds to the largely glazed south and less glazed north elevations. I need a control system to open & close them automatically dependent on internal temperature when we are not in the house.

I also want to be able to lock a blind down at night if I am planning to sleep late. Several occupants are doctors who might be working nights or late into the night. This should apply to individual blinds; and to open and close blinds at will during the day independent of temperature.

I want to be able to afford the system and program it myself when our needs change.

Are my requirements unusual? Any thoughts welcomed!

(I have asked this in iPHA too)

Anonymous
    Inactive

am planning to use external roller blinds to the largely glazed south and less glazed north elevations. I need a control system to open & close them automatically dependent on internal temperature when we are not in the house.

I also want to be able to lock a blind down at night if I am planning to sleep late. Several occupants are doctors who might be working nights or late into the night. This should apply to individual blinds; and to open and close blinds at will during the day independent of temperature.

I want to be able to afford the system and program it myself when our needs change.

Are my requirements unusual? Any thoughts welcomed!

I'd have thought your requirements are unusual, especially within the UK. External roller blinds are much rarer here than on the continent, for starters. It sounds like you want a relatively sophisticated control system, which suggests to me that you'd be looking for some type of Building Management System as used in commercial buildings. Which might not be affordable. Or else you're in homebrew territory, which may or may not be to your taste. But certainly I'd suggest that you should look to the continent to see if any solutions exist.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Dave – originally we were going to have motorised shutters which would have been even rarer!

I have found a system called Loxone that looks as though it might work. It is Austrian, which makes a change as a lot of the rest of the house is coming from Germany. The superb thermal performance will justify the millions of tonnes of CO2 transporting it all here to sunny Shropshire!

I will post again about Loxone – but if anyone has any other ideas…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Simon, I've been looking at the possibility of using a similar system to stop overheating in summer of a large fully glazed porch. These links may be useful for powered roller blinds.

http://www.hallmarkblinds.co.uk

http://www.brightablind.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks. I've been looking at these:-

http://www.jamesrobertshaw.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/James-Robertshaw-Eliminate-Collection-Brochure.pdf

http://cbsolarshading.co.uk/screens/external-roller-blinds-and-screens

But still can't find a system to automate them with a very simple logic – IF room hot THEN close IF sun shining, UNLESS ((room occupant desires lie in OR is naked) AND has locked the blind shut) UNLESS fire detectors active. AND lock open IF room hot BUT occupant desires it OR close blind if requested.

AND switch to automatic IF intruder alarm set to on.

Mark Siddall
    Participant

Simon,
    Open, closed, naked, sleeping, shading, ventilation. It all sounds to complex to me. A computer controlled system is, in my view OTT. Why not let the occupants choose how they control the shading? They will know best what they want and this can be controlled by a simple switch and a mechanical control on the shading.

Mark

Anonymous
    Inactive

Simon, I was going to use Arduino as the controller. I only need time and temperature inputs so relatively straightforward. If you're not into programming it might be a challenge, although there are forums out there to help. The Raspberry Pi might also be worth a look at, but I don't know of any off the shelf solutions.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We have decided to use a system called Loxone which claims to be able to do what we want. We don't want to be having to guess what the weather will be like while we are at work, or on holiday. I'll let you know if it does actually work!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.