Go to Forum Home Building Services Solar Water Heating

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      A-tec Design
      Participant

I'm looking at solar water heating systems, and I've been told that the Solfex TZ system is about the best on the market.

Does anybody have any experience of these, and are they any good. Is there any other systems that are better efficiency, or value for money.

I'd appreciate comments please.

Anonymous

To find out more about the performance of a wide range of collectors on the market you’ll need to obtain independent test data reports to a suitable standard like EN 12975. Other than straight from the manufacturer/supplier, many of these can be found here: http://www.estif.org/solarkeymark

You ask about comparing systems, but your reference may have been just the collector. Comparing collector performance alone is unenviable task at the best of times but comparing systems is even more difficult requiring hourly computer simulations to get reasonable accuracy. Efficiency is only part of the story since it is affected by temperature, so collector U-value is also important and sometimes under-rated.

There are many other qualities about collectors that are worth considering such as appearance, county of manufacture, recyclability, pressure drop, corrosion resistance etc. . Some factors are explained on the above website.

A nice free publication found here tells you more about optimising the whole system:
          http://www.greenspec.co.uk/documents/energy/EST-solarWaterHeating.pdf

A-tec Design
          Participant

Thank you for the information.

Eco Design
            Participant

Daren

Solflex is based near Preston. I've just visited them with a mind to installing their gear. It's an Austrian manufacturer & very similar to the Austrian Gasokol panel. I was impressed with the units, flashings etc. and Solflex are competitive on all they sell & quality appears good. Will be in better position to say when we've fitted a few.

Eco Design
              Participant

Apologies Daren but the TZ series are the evacuated tubes, which I believe are Chinese not Austrian. It is their flat plate collectors that are Austrian. Solflex supply the TZ series only to meet customers demands. Have a look at the flat plate they collectors they sell (ORC & IRC ranges).

Anonymous

For an independently written and interesting primer on Legionella and conventional solar compared to Solartwin (a technology which I declare an interest in producing) please read:

http://www.solartwin.com/index.php?page=96

This says of conventional solar twin coil cylinders “from a legionella proliferation point of view to have such a large volume of water sitting below the secondary heating coil has to be seen as a serious flaw in design, as on days where the solar gain is limited, this volume of water is unlikely to achieve the L8 recommended temperature of 60°C and thus may pose a threat of legionella proliferation.”

It is interesting that to get grants UK solar installers must apparently violate L8, something which we are not prepared to do. So Solartwin customers do not get grants – at the behest of the majority of the solar water heating industry.

If readers are buying solar heating (or if they alreday have them installed) it might be interesting to ask their suppliers “How does this installation comply with HSE Guidance L8 on Legionella?”

Regarding the discussion on best practice in solar there are a wider diversity of valid perspectives than industry lobbyists might have us us believe. This document (below) may give a refreshing alternative to some of the more old fashioned approaches contained in some documents which have been circulated – under what I think are surprisingly prestigious banners.

http://www.solartwin.com/PDF/Best_practice.pdf

Hope this stimulates debate!

Regards, Barry

Tom Foster
                  Participant

You've got my attention Barry

Anonymous

Oh dear. I tried and failed to start up two new topics today.

One was abput the Solar Trade Associatioon.
                      The other was about the BPEC solar installers manual which they produce.

Unfortunately both got censored into oblivion after just a few hours. So I won't pass any opinion here on either STA or BPEC in case this posting gets deleted too.

Regards, Barry

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.