Go to Forum Home Materials and products Timber Frame Sheathing : Vapour Permeability

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

I'm looking at a variety of alternatives to OSB3 for external and internal sheathing of timber frame.

The obvious ones are panelvent and other woodfibre boards (bitvent, pavatex, diffutherm etc) externally and paneline internally.

Has anyone come across other products?

And specifically, has anyone looked at using the new robust moisture resistant gypsum based fibre boards offered by the big board manufacturers for (non structural) external sheathing purposes and particularly for use in a vapour permeable construction?

Tom Foster
        Participant

That will be a v interesting survey – please tell us your results. Brit gypsum used to offer sheathing grade plasterboard about 10yrs ago and I used successfully for just this purpose – but they removed it from their catalogue. Now you say it's back? It's properties are ideal.

Anonymous

Euroform might have something:

http://www.euroform.co.uk/

Nigel Murray
            Participant

Euroform might have something:

http://www.euroform.co.uk/

Had an opportunity to experiment with Euroform's 'Versapanel' which seemed to be a complying product, but practically found it to be too brittle a material to use as sheathing. Cracked while sawing, again while gun nailing, and again while contersunk screwing… Reverted to cement board as had to be Class'0'.

Nigel

Tom Foster
              Participant

That's a gd warning – was about to spec it.

Peter Wilshaw
                Participant

I have used and have been using different grades of versapel(certainly since 1997), and have never had a problem cutting or drilling it. I always cut it with a disc cutter rather than a saw and pre drill before fixing!
                  Peter

Tom Foster
                  Participant

tHanks!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.