Go to Forum Home Building Design Top tape tips?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Has anyone got any tips on what kind of tape to use – we are building using our spruce ply walls, floors and roof with vertical joins every 600mm. We are going to tape all of the joins and then check for air tightness. Our plasterboard is going to be hard up against the ply with no cavity or battens so the tape itsnt going to fall off – but what type?
        ordinary duct tape? Aluminium Tape?

thanks

bruce,

Nick Grant
        Participant

See elsewhere re ode to duct tape!

Use Proclima or Siga tapes. Why joins every 600 rather than 1200mm?

Nick

Anonymous

How about glueing the joins with PU glue or similiar , something thats going to last and handle a bit of movement, any suggestions ?

Could this be as good as taping ?

Nick Grant
            Participant

I'm a fan of PU glue for careful DIY at least. Stuff I have used was from Screwfix and came in mastic gun cartridges. Just needs a little moisture. Panel needs to be thick enough (or T&G?) for butt joints to work without lots of noggins.

Tom Foster
              Participant

Keep the noggings, but instead of timber that can significantly increase the timber to insulation ratio, use dryliner's flatstrap (100 x 0.7mm galv strip, cut with tinsnips) nailed across the stud faces, and power-screw your board edges to that at same c/cs as to the studs. Then all edges supported, no need for thick or T&G boards, plenty of glue area between and behind the edges. Similarly, use of light galv angles uniting abutting board edges at internal/external corners can often enable elimination of one or more timbers, that were only there to support the board edges. Applies alike to plasterboard as well as sheathing boards.

Nick Grant
                Participant

Interesting idea Tom. Did once try and source H clips to avoid noggins for sheets.

Bruce – why not rubber gasket joints between your facit blocks (neoprene strips or similar) – or over clad with t&g wood fibre-board externally?

X Wookey
                  Participant

Proclima Tescon is _much_ better tape than aluminium. It's stretchy so allows for movement and it's very sticky so it'll stay stuck for decades. I wouldn't use foil tape for sealing to anything other than foil/smooth plastic surfaces and I wouldn't use it where there is any possibility of differential movement. I'd avoid using it anywhere where it won't be held in place by something on top.

So for sticking ply boxes together I'd not use foil tape – it won't stick very well atall, and there could be slight movement which would tear/fatigue it. I'd either use Tescon if taping, or as has been suggested, glue/goop between abutting boxes. This latter is probably the best plan.

Yes Tescon is expensive, but it's also excellent – it's good value IMHO.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.