Go to Forum Home Materials and products Urea formaldehyde cavity wall insulation.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Buckingham
      Participant

I'm trying to find some research papers or information on urea formaldehyde cavity wall insulation. Does anyone know of any information on how this material performs over time, there are many buildings insulated since the early 1970's and I want to find out if this CWI has broken down or degraded since it's installation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.

UF foam in the 1970s cracked, shrank and behaved badly from day 1. It didn't stop possibly a few million installations though.

I hope it has by now crumbled to dust, then one could re-fill it with PIR or PU foam and get a better U value and airtightness. I fear it is still there though.

Anonymous

May I suggest that you look to Canada where UF was banned in 1980

KATE DE SELINCOURT
          Participant

Paul, just to point out (as you may have spotted) that Canadian Paul Marriott has posted a comment on the General Public Board (he's a non-member).

Cheers

Kate de S

Paul Buckingham
            Participant

Thank,s Kate. I have already seen that post and I agree with you, he should join! I'll get back to him later.

Paul.

Tom Foster
              Participant

What about the foam-in-void (not frontal-sprayed) variant of Icynene for the purpose? Icynene is water-blown PUR, stays soft and rubbery forever and sticks like hell. Its lamda is similar to ordinary EPS, but that can't be suspected of degrading, as there's no exotic blowing gasses in it, to leak away.

Viewing 5 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.