Go to Forum Home Local Groups Wales group

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      AECB admin
      Participant

Chat with members of the Wales group here. If you need a reminder of your log in details just email here.

Anonymous

Hello? Is there anyone there?
          We are based in Swansea and in the planning stage for a deep retrofit of a 1985 house.

Benedicte Foo
          Participant

Hi Emma

Thanks for kicking this off. I lived in North Wales for several years and though based in Cambridge at the moment, am starting a complete renovation of a stone cottage in Gwynedd–so though it’s all v different from what you are embarking on in Swansea I am making contact!

Would very much like to chat with anyone who has experience of cottages with random rubble walls, onto shaley ground with no foundations to speak of and their take on insulation and finishes to ground floor and stone walls.

All best

Anonymous

Hi Benedicte,

Sounds exciting! There’s some stuff on the forums and I’m sure you’re linked with the guys at CAT who aren’t so far from your cottage? I think they’d have lots of connections and info. Not straightforward sorting that kind of house but rather a lovely challenge to have. (Long trek for you from Cambridge though!)

Hope some more knowledgable people jump into this discussion…

Emily

Hi Emily and Benedicte

Glad to see your posts, I am Chris the organiser of the local group for wales and we are currently working on plans to rejuvenate the group and will let you know when and what we are planning in the near future, be good to meet you.

As far as working on Rubble Walls etc, I would suggest that the best contact for advice, materials and also courses would be Ty Mawr Lime, based in Brecon who have huge amounts of experience in this kind of work. http://www.lime.org.uk

All the best

Chris

Benedicte Foo
              Participant

Hi Chris

Thanks–I had the feeling there was a previous Wales group. Good to hear it will be rejuvenated.

Thanks also for the suggestion about Ty Mawr lime. I will follow up.

Can you help me with a technical question on the aecb website? I seem to remember we used to be able to see/download drawings but now when I see discussions and people say: ‘you might find this detail helpful’ there is no drawing nor attachment. How do I get to the info?

All best
                Benedicte

AECB admin
                Participant

Hi Benedicte, hopefully I can help you with this. Please could you email me with the text and links in question so I can find what you are looking for? Many thanks Emma

David Harris
                  Participant

If i can be of any help, let me know, would be good to have a rejuvenated group.

David

Anonymous

It would be good to know who’s around in Wales and whereabouts.
                      Our project is a refurb in Swansea and any local connections would be very useful; but it would also be great to just find out what else is going on and what interested projects there are in Wales (lots, I think).

Hi everyone,

My name is Ben, I’m a graduate of CAT and recently have completed the AECB CarbonLite Retrofit course. I’m based in Machynlleth and just starting to get out into the world of energy assessing, retrofitting and natural materials.

I’ve got no specific projects at the moment, but last week I was removing Victorian lime of a home in Cemmes and loved to see the lath perfectly preserved – amazing stuff. Hoping to get back on site in a couple of weeks time to get some experience with putting the lime back on the walls!

Looking forward to seeing how this group develops.

Invitation International Passivhaus Open Day
                      The most airtight residential house in the UK, Larch Corner, q50 m3.h @ 0.041, n50 ac.h @0.048
                      Green roof, Solar panels, Air heat source pump, Eco friendly and sustainable materials
                      Please join us during the international Passivhaus open day, Friday 28th, Sat 29th and Sunday 30th June, from 9:00 to 17:00 every day, Larch Corner, CV37 8TB
                      An incredible journey for every self builder and future eco warriors, aiming for a sustainably and brighter house building future.

So, do join us and discover what benefits Passivhaus and CLT (cross laminated timber) houses achieve.

See you there.

Andy Mackay
                      07393 507350
                      andy@maceyeprojects.com

Carol Keith
                      Participant

Hi everyone,

Just a quick message to say hello and introduce myself. I’ve been a member of AECB and the Passivhaus Trust for a few months now and I’m keen to network with like-minded people. I run my own small consultancy firm in Aldridge, Walsall(I’ve worked on a few builds around North Wales and Herefordshire) and offer SAP/SBEM, planning reports and air tightness testing services. I am also working on the last stages of my portfolios for PSI value modelling and Dynamic Simulation Modelling.

I’d be keen to attend any planned meeting in the future and happy to chat on here or on the phone with any likeminded members.

Adam Fairman
                        Participant

Hi, I’m planning a 2 storey extension and retrofit of our 1950s house in Cardiff next year.  I work in energy but not on buildings so completed the carbon lite retrofit course early this year.  Just a shout out to see if there are others in the area who would like to connect?

Jaime Moya
                          Participant

Good morning all. I’m an architect with 20+ years experience working in South Wales on mainly social housing grant funded affordable housing projects for most of the housing associations in the region and trying to spread the Passive House message amongst them! Recently qualified as a Certified PH Designer through the AECB Carbonlite course. Like others I’d be keen to connect to share contacts and ideas but I can see the forum is pretty quiet.

It would be particularly useful to know if anyone has worked with an Employer’s Agent on SHG funded design and build PH projects – need an EA with PH experience that would not be over-cautious with their cost plan.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by Jaime Moya.
                            Jonathan Davies
                            Participant

Morning all, I am a recently minted Passivhaus Designer who has recently joined Jaime at his practice. As his commentary, it would be fantastic to learn from others – particularly in light of the impending revisions to AD F, L and new AD O – and hopefully we can build a bit of momentum.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.